Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times

Advertisements

Broker open tour---did it already. They usually say positive or negative things about your home....or reduce the price-----yada yada...

Regular open houses suck in my opinion. I don't know many people who buy homes at an open house. We have bought/sold 3 homes in the last 5 or so years...We never bought during an open house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I go on tours reluctantly most of the time but last week proves to me why we hold tours and why they are effective.

I've been working with clients who have had a very specific need in housing. We've found several , but my clients either got outbid, or in one case, the property was removed from the market by the seller for medical reasons.

We stopped at one home, which met all the requirements, and I called my clients from the next house and told them to meet me at 2:00. They were on my front porch when I got back from the tour. We looked at the property, came back to the office and they made an offer $2500 more than the asking price (it will probably appraise for more). The property never made it to the MLS and was under contract 6 hours after I saw it.

I think I will be looking forward to tours enthusiastically from now on.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Broker open tour---did it already. They usually say positive or negative things about your home....or reduce the price-----yada yada...

Regular open houses suck in my opinion. I don't know many people who buy homes at an open house. We have bought/sold 3 homes in the last 5 or so years...We never bought during an open house.
We actually purchased our last home we recently sold, after attending its open house, so it does happen.

Regarding a traditional brokers open...it gives a chance for agents from the RE company listing the house to have first dibs at the house before other competing companies can come in. It is done here at the beginning of the listing so I don't know how effective it will be for you Becky.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 06-16-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I go on tours reluctantly most of the time but last week proves to me why we hold tours and why they are effective.

I've been working with clients who have had a very specific need in housing. We've found several , but my clients either got outbid, or in one case, the property was removed from the market by the seller for medical reasons.

We stopped at one home, which met all the requirements, and I called my clients from the next house and told them to meet me at 2:00. They were on my front porch when I got back from the tour. We looked at the property, came back to the office and they made an offer $2500 more than the asking price (it will probably appraise for more). The property never made it to the MLS and was under contract 6 hours after I saw it.

I think I will be looking forward to tours enthusiastically from now on.
This may be a question of local custom, but...

If the property never made it to the MLS, how did the agent get it on the local open house tour, and then advertise that fact?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post

If the property never made it to the MLS, how did the agent get it on the local open house tour, and then advertise that fact?
The post your replied to was pretty clear. The agent did a company tour with their agents as part of their weekly caravan.

The broker has 48 hours in my market after all listing docs and the key are received in the office to put the listing into the MLS. The listing contract could be signed but the key is missing or some other paperwork is missing. If the property is not ready for showings or there is no key for the lockbox or showing instructions have not been received by the agency yet, the listing cannot be put active into the MLS.

At my company, we email our agents and other agents that we personally know in that market about the upcoming listiing once the contract is signed. Once the listing is in the MLS, we email them again. It's part of proactive marketing that our agency does with all listings.

DMenscha, congrats on being proactive and previewing the new listings and getting the contract! Now close the deal!!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
The post your replied to was pretty clear. The agent did a company tour with their agents as part of their weekly caravan.
Actually, it wasn't, which is why I asked the question. It didn't say "company tour," it just said tour. That particular word isn't part of my local real estate lingo, and I translated it to mean the same as my area's "broker caravan," (at least partially because of the title of the thread) which is held after a property is listed in teh MLS, is open to all local agents & brokers, and is advertised via the MLS.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post

We have 48 hours to put it in the MLS, he listed it the day before and it was an add on to the already scheduled tour.

Our tour was 45 miles in distance traveled and lasted 4 hours btw Sometimes living in the country has it's drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate