Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM

72 posts, read 184,916 times

Advertisements

Are we wasting our time if we try to sell our home in this current market? We would be listing for just what is owed at 260,000$. In our current neighborhood that last few things that have sold have all been SS or foreclosure and are only fetching about 110,000$. Most of these homes are a little distressed and need a little help, but are people willing to not go through buying a SS or foreclosre and get a move in ready house for more money? Just curious. I have seen some homes not SS and not foreclosure on the market and am wondering if they even get looked at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
so would you be asking 150 thousand over what the area has been selling for? I can't imagine anyhouse in the same block being 150 grand more being that much different than the next. if I am looking to buy and the two houses were next door to each other and the more expensive was move in ready but 150 grand more, I would think how much would it cost me to upgrade the bad house. how much would new paint, carpet, some landscaping cost and in most cases it is no where near 150 grand and if I liked the bad house I would buy it and upgrade. houses in my area have dropped way down in value over the last year and it is very sad to see people selling for so much less. if you don't have to sell I would try to wait it out. you could also just put it on the market who knows maybe someone will fall in love with it and offer you your price.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:46 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
In a word........YES. You are wasting your time if the figures you state are accurate. Doesn't seem to matter how much better the house is, unfortunately comps don't seem to take that into account. If you have a 2500 square foot house with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths for sale, it better be the same price or lower than the last 2500 square foot house with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths that sold. And comps are the only thing that buyers seem to care about anymore unless the comps are literally falling apart. And even then they wouldn't accept $150,000 difference.

That and oh yeah, granite/stainless steel/hardwood floors/painted the perfect colors, etc. etc. All, of course, at the SS and foreclosure prices. Thank you very much HGTV!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasparker View Post
Are we wasting our time if we try to sell our home in this current market? We would be listing for just what is owed at 260,000$. In our current neighborhood that last few things that have sold have all been SS or foreclosure and are only fetching about 110,000$. Most of these homes are a little distressed and need a little help, but are people willing to not go through buying a SS or foreclosre and get a move in ready house for more money? Just curious. I have seen some homes not SS and not foreclosure on the market and am wondering if they even get looked at.
Certainly not for that much more money. The foreclosure we are buying needs a new roof and windows, and we are choosing to upgrade the kitchen and floors... all to our taste and specifications, which will place the house above standard for the area (just because an owner is selling a house instead of a bank doesn't mean it isn't distressed to some degree. These aren't small upgrades, and they are costing us $30k.... not $150k.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
That is a HUGE spread. I mean if you were to have told me 'the foreclosure are 20% below what we owe" I might say you have a chance of snagging a buying that respects a place that is top notch/ move in ready.

If the SS have gone for far below 50% of what you need to get to break even the short answer is don't do even list.

Wait till prices at least start to recover if you have any ability to do so...

Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 PM

72 posts, read 184,916 times
Yey thanks everyone. That is pretty much our thoughts too, just wanted to get some feed back. The house next to us is the same exact floor plan (cookie cutter neighborhood) but they have a corner lot and it is for sale SS at 121,000$ and is not sold yet and has been listed for almost 3 months!! YIKES!! Hopefully most of the SS and foreclosures (we live in FL) will go away soon and we can see what the market will look like then. Probably still not good enough for us to break even though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate