Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 31,937 times

Advertisements

I have several homes in Northern VA and MD. I have been struggling to keep my homes and stay afloat. They all have tenants at the moment, but I get so depressed when a home I paid $345k is now worth about $100k less. And on my larger homes, I don't even break even on the rent. Afraid to do any short sales, because I bought one of the homes via owner financing, and have to refinance in 2 yrs, so don't want to reduce my FICO. My question: How do I keep this real estate thing going? I'm willing to sell a couple of them, but market is so bad. I thought about selling via owner-financing to get a decent sales price hopefully, but not too sure about that (none of the homes are paid off yet). I also met someone who is about to loose her home, and is thinking about selling to me (using owner-financing for 5 yrs) for a GREAT price, but not sure if I should take on anymore debt. I know I'm not alone, and alot of other investors are going through the same thing. Has anyone been able to find a way to keep things going in this market, and even make a few purchases while home prices are low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
why do you own all of these houses when none of them are paid off?

You cant be making large mortgage payments on your own house, and then 4-5 more per year...

I would concentrate on keeping one or two of the best propertys (easiest to get tenants, least amount of work) and get some equity in those.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
El Oh El.

Gee I invested in the stock market and my stocks took a nose dive.

El Oh El.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:16 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Positive cash flow is king in the house rental business.

If you bought at "great" price points which are not cash flowing, then it's time to reduce your overhead to levels where you can sustain some properties for now with the rental income and supplement that with your other income.

If that doesn't work for you, then it's time to sell out for what you can and take your losses now. Unless you can reasonably forsee an improving cash flow situation in your marketplace (higher rents?), you'll not do better by holding on to all of your properties. You wouldn't be the first to have to make this decision ... and I've seen multi-million dollar portfolios shrink even when lending was flexible/affordable, and the economy was still showing rising home prices everywhere. In this current marketplace, the odds aren't so good to stay invested in losing situations.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
How can you use owner financing if the house has a mortage (e.g. selling your own or the lady who is going to sell to you)?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 31,937 times
Default Real Estate

Thanks for the responses so far. To answer one of the qts. I can offer owner-financing for a period of time, say 2 yrs, at which time the buyer must refinance. i have bought a property this way as well.

The reason I don't want to just dump the properties is because I have one property that I need to refinance in 2 yrs, so I'm trying to keep my credit clean until then at least. That property was bought recently for a "steal" so it's the one that I want to keep!

Thanks, and any other advice is welcome!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
I do not think a short sale is an option unless all your properties are underwater and you have no other assets.

Since you are struggling to keep your family afloat ( whatever that means to you) I am inclined to suggest that you resist the urge to take on even more debt because this sounds like you have the potential risk of losing everything.

Why not seek/pay for the advice of a qualified financial planner and lay all your cards on the table and determine the best long term plan.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
You need to seek out some equity partners. Some people say it is not good to personally ask for help from others, but I think that in the current climate those who have the honesty to lay it on the line to some one that you know has CASH and is getting a very poor return is your best option.

If you cannot find such partners you need to restructure and/ or sell.

As part of the restructuring you could approach the tenants with the idea of raising their rents BUT crediting some or all of the increase to "lease option" or "rent to own" agreement. There are lots of articles /books about why this might be a good option.

Selling is NOT the worst thing in the world -- far better to get some loser off your balance sheet that to have it eat your alive and take down everything else.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
Yeah, I agree. If you can cut some losses, do so now. If you are juggling multiple properties, and you are depending on every tenant to pay on time or your in trouble, or if you find yourself eating away at your savings to just keep things in order, you are close to toppling over.

If you can, I would purchase the newer house for the cheap price (why your credit still looks good), and dump the more expensive ones where your underwater. Its a tough business, I have been taking some losses this year myself, so trust me that it is no pretty sight to just walk away on your investment, but it is what it is

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
How can you use owner financing if the house has a mortage (e.g. selling your own or the lady who is going to sell to you)?
Title companies won't do these, but you could in theory not use a title company at all. It legally triggers the due-on-sale clause that is in the mortgage deed, but I am guessing the OP and the seller he purchased from were willing to take the risk of triggering the due-on-sale clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate