Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,375 times

Advertisements

I am little confused on this subject so I thought I would ask the experts here. If there is a rental property listed on MLS then I should be able to use any agent to rent the property. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Assuming your agent does rentals, yes.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:11 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Are you in Cincinnati?
You should ask in your local forum.

MLS rules and local/state regulations differ.
We have no standard facility in North Carolina for residential tenant "buyer agency." So, unless we draw up a legal contract with each prospective tenant, we cannot represent the tenant in negotiations.

I show MLS-listed rentals, and then hand the prospective tenant off to the property manager for negotiations. That is how we do it locally. It may be different where you are.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,488 times
The MLS' in my area do include rentals that have been listed with real estate brokers (homes, condos and apts). However, not all agents handle rentals and not all landlords use agents.

Last edited by NORMGLO; 07-06-2009 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,240 times
In my area only a minor subset of all rental property is listed in the MLS. I don't handle rentals, but helped a good friend locate a home a couple of weeks back. Some of the properties I found were FRBO, others were listed in the MLS, but a good number were handled by rental companies that held their properties off the MLS.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMGLO View Post
The MLS' in my area do include rentals that have been listed with real estate brokers (homes, condos and apts). However, not all agents handle rentals and not all landlords use agents.
Same in my area. There is a greater tendency for single family homes to be listed, for rent, in my MLS.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,254 times
Bit of a spinoff - when you use a broker to help you find a rental house on the MLS, who pays for the commissions of the buyer and seller brokers? My mother just found a rental house through a broker in NY, and was told she was not only responsible to pay her own broker, but also the listing broker. Thought it was a bit strange.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Bit of a spinoff - when you use a broker to help you find a rental house on the MLS, who pays for the commissions of the buyer and seller brokers? My mother just found a rental house through a broker in NY, and was told she was not only responsible to pay her own broker, but also the listing broker. Thought it was a bit strange.
It depends on the rules of the particular MLS, not all are the same. In our local Arizona MLS, the landlord would usually be responsible for for all agent fees, same as for owner selling property.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
It depends on the rules of the particular MLS, not all are the same. In our local Arizona MLS, the landlord would usually be responsible for for all agent fees, same as for owner selling property.
Same is true in my area in NJ. There are some rental developments that have Property Managers on site who tell renters to pay their own broker commission but most of the rentals in my area are homes and condos. I have not heard of a renter being responsible for paying both the listing and selling brokers. That said, there are agents who specialize in representing only Buyers/Renters and they are bound by the Buyers Agency Agreement that they enter into with the Buyer.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,626 times
In Virginia, you can use any agent who does rentals...you're not obligated to use the list agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate