Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM

166 posts, read 828,266 times

Advertisements

Thank you. And thank you, everyone, for being here while I vented and asked questions. This really helped. Now keeping my fingers crossed, everything works out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times
If I knew the home was "the" home for me, I would have no problem making an offer after one viewing. My husband is another story...he wants to think it out and see it two or three times.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 PM

97 posts, read 285,570 times
The buyer I am currently working with looked at only 1 house, 1 time and wrote up an offer. Said he knew what he wanted.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
As a first time home buyer I don't think I would have bought our has after 1 look (we looked at it 2 times before putting in our offer). I could see with our next house though being able to walk in and making an offer after 1 viewing. In our mind we know exactly what we want in our second house and if we find it I have no problem making an offer right then.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
In California at least, there is a 17-day "buyers remorse" period, so there's no down side to putting an offer in, as you can cancel for ANY reason without penalty within that time frame, and I split my down payment money into three ernest money deposits.
Wellllllll, the standard CAR (CA Assn of Realtors) form does have a 17 day inspection period (it's actually 7 days for the seller to provide you with information and 10 days for the buyer to act on it and perform any other inspections they require.

It's fairly easy to walk away by either refusing the information provided, or telling the seller you were unhappy with the results of inspections, but it isn't actually a "buyers remorse" situation.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM

161 posts, read 568,495 times
Our home in TX, when we bought it, my husband saw it once for 15 minutes, took a bunch of photos, and brought them home to me (I was 8 months pregnant and couldn't fly). We bought it without my ever setting foot in it.

We just sold this same home to someone who NEVER saw it in person, just photos and video taken by his agent. It was obviously enough info for him to pick our home over countless others in the same area at a similar price.

Our new house in PA--we saw it twice in one day and put in the offer. We were on a short house hunting trip and needed to make a decision ASAP, but i had already done a ton of research on the net to we felt pretty prepared.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Absolutely I would. The house I live in now I walked through it in about 5 minutes, went back to my office and wrote up the offer. It got countered and I accepted, deal done w/o ever going for a 2nd look. The one before that, I saw, was there about 15 minutes, brought the wife by to make sure it was what she wanted, and bought it.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM

167 posts, read 518,027 times
Yes, we've put in offers after one look. Once we bought a home 2500 miles away based on the agent's recommendation and lots of pictures and investigation on our end. Worked out great in all instances.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Some people do with a inspection clause included of course.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
At the heart of this question are two conflicting sets of wisdoms:

a) Look before you leap. (measure twice, cut once)
b) He who hesitates is forever lost. (you snooze, you lose)

Most of us are hard wired at birth to be predisposed to one mindset or other, and we live our lives and make our decisions accordingly.

I've always been a leaper. Despite some bad moves, there are far more times where it paid off in big ways than not. If the opposite were true, I probably would have corrected by now, but most of my best investment deals were ones that I made on the spot with little to no deliberation or analysis, beating out the more careful and prudent competition.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate