Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,198,534 times

Advertisements

Honestly, the only reason I would avoid white is because it tends to yellow. I've seen relatively new GE profile appliances in houses where the "white" seal was now yellow. If everything actually stayed while, I think I'd prefer it.

That said, I bought white cabinets, I couldn't resist LOL. However, I've always had white cabinets, and they are easily cleaned with a damp rag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,762,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They can also crack if you repeatedly put hot things on them without using a trivet.
True granites should not crack, the stuff is made from absurdly high temps. Unfortunately there are a lot of cheap 'granite' out there. Do the lemon juice test on a sample and see whether there is a lot of filler added.

Also avoid putting hot stuff on the veins, they are weaker parts of the granite.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,900,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Honestly, the only reason I would avoid white is because it tends to yellow. I've seen relatively new GE profile appliances in houses where the "white" seal was now yellow. If everything actually stayed while, I think I'd prefer it.

That said, I bought white cabinets, I couldn't resist LOL. However, I've always had white cabinets, and they are easily cleaned with a damp rag.

Hate to tell ya, but they yellow as well.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,900,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
True granites should not crack, the stuff is made from absurdly high temps. Unfortunately there are a lot of cheap 'granite' out there. Do the lemon juice test on a sample and see whether there is a lot of filler added.

Also avoid putting hot stuff on the veins, they are weaker parts of the granite.
Heck I put a cork trivel down on my ceramic cooktop before putting a hot pan on a cool burner. Old habits are hard to break.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,095,738 times
Um. sorry, granite does crack. Have you ever seen a quarry? Lots of times heat and cold are used to fracture enormous portions of the quarry.

Acid /lemon juice will not tell you how much filler is added, it will give you a sense for how much of the slab is was formed from compounds that might react over time with common kitchen ingredients. Igneous rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM

105 posts, read 297,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Some people take pride in their homes almost like they are a piece of art. Not everyone keeps their countertops full of junk. Not to be flippant...but you have never seen a granite countertop? For reals? May I suggest getting out to a showroom or a parade of homes to see some design styles? If the things you mention aren't important to you and you don't get the fascination with it that's fine.

Thank you!
I'm so sick of the prevailing wisdom around here that people with laminate countertops and white appliances are so much more enlightened and on a higher spiritual plane than those who have granite and stainless steel.

So what if it's a fad? Unless you built every single appliance, every single piece of furniture, and formed every single nook and cranny in your home, chances are you have something that was right off the assembly line too.

Yes, the idiots on HGTV are annoying with their pearl clutching and hysterics over hardwood floors and granite, but HGTV is not real life, and they are most likely encouraged and prodded by producers on what to say, and how to act (I've been featured on a lifestyle television show, so I know what I speak). Most people are not willing to walk away from a perfectly good home that meets all of their needs and desires because the freaking appliances are white, give me a break please. And if they are, good riddance, they will leave the hidden jewels to serious buyers, while they will probably pay an overinflated price for their homes because they sucumbed to clever staging.

Most of you are coming across as incredibly bitter and dare I say it, dated and completely unwilling to accept change.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM

41,811 posts, read 74,847,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
Most of you are coming across as incredibly bitter and dare I say it, dated and completely unwilling to accept change.
As opposed to coming off as superior and defensive?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,580,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
Thank you!
I'm so sick of the prevailing wisdom around here that people with laminate countertops and white appliances are so much more enlightened and on a higher spiritual plane than those who have granite and stainless steel.

So what if it's a fad? Unless you built every single appliance, every single piece of furniture, and formed every single nook and cranny in your home, chances are you have something that was right off the assembly line too.

Yes, the idiots on HGTV are annoying with their pearl clutching and hysterics over hardwood floors and granite, but HGTV is not real life, and they are most likely encouraged and prodded by producers on what to say, and how to act (I've been featured on a lifestyle television show, so I know what I speak). Most people are not willing to walk away from a perfectly good home that meets all of their needs and desires because the freaking appliances are white, give me a break please. And if they are, good riddance, they will leave the hidden jewels to serious buyers, while they will probably pay an overinflated price for their homes because they sucumbed to clever staging.

Good posting I too have grown aggravated by the needs of some to blast HGTV, SS, granite etc. If you don't understand that ones home is their castle and they enjoy decorating and displaying their art just let it go.

You have to put this stuff in perspective ...but when you seem obsessed and need to put others tastes down, it starts to reek of sour grapes

Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,580,667 times
I'm also rather surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the "House" category.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,158,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post

I have granite in my rental but will not be putting it into my own house, but thank you for the tip anyway.

I know better than to put a hot pot or pan directly onto granite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate