Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,742,553 times

Advertisements

In response to several different threads running....

Except on TV I have never seen a granite counter. On TV they look dark, glossy, and industrial. I think they're awful. I've never had one, I've never seen one, and I have no hankering for granite anything. Why is this such an important element for homes all of a sudden that people can't live without them? I'm totally in the dark. I don't get it.

I've owned several homes. I've lived with numerous countertops. I've never cared a whit about any of them. I have a countertop in the kitchen right now. It's grey something. I dunno. It's usually so buried under junk and mail and dishes that most of it is hidden anyway.....

I watch HGTV all the time, I find it absolutely fascinating. When did people become so obsessed with tile and countertops and sinks and floor treatments? How did I get through nearly six decades of life without caring about these things? When did this stuff become the most important aspect of going home after work every day?

The best thing about HGTV is that gorgeous guy who remodels basements. He can ring my doorbell anytime. I don't care what he's wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 AM

250 posts, read 684,134 times
Great post, funny how caught up we can get in silly things.

Best websites to research before buying a home in NJ

Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
I chose Corian over granite when we built this home for a number of reasons. one was upkeep and repair, and the other was that I wanted something more traditional that was probably not going to be completely dated in 20 years. I also had concerns about radon.

I've seen a lot of granite in homes both old and new. In upscale homes you can't put in laminate, it looks cheesey and as out of place as a $50K kitchen would in a mobile home.

And BTW--I can see my counter. Right now the only things on it are a toaster, teapot, canisters, knife block, and Kitchen Aid Mixer covered and pushed back in a deep corner. I can't imagine living in such clutter and mess that every inch of it is covered. No offense, but yuck!

I care about my home and how it looks. I like to live in a clean, uncluttered, organized house that is aesthetically appealing. I like my home to feel like a high-end spa, a true sanctuary.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 AM

17,554 posts, read 14,738,785 times
We've all been brainwashed.

Even I, who complains that buyer's cannot see through other people's furnishings and paint & who remembers when a fixer upper meant polishing, shining & maybe mechanicals ... instead of a house with an early 1990s kitchen ... has fallen victim to HGTV brainwashing.

Sigh.

I just had a listing appointment. Adorable house - young decorating style, great curb appeal, super price point for our area - I'm thinking it will sell super quick because it screams HGTV.

Until I saw the kitchen.

Horror of horrors they had WHITE appliances.

I can't believe, that #1, I was semi-shocked and disappointed by NEW white appliances. And #2, I know that that is EXACTLY how buyers will feel during showings.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,470,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Why is this such an important element for homes all of a sudden that people can't live without them? I'm totally in the dark. I don't get it.
It's called a fad.

Like wood paneling in the 60's. Shag carpet in the 70's. All white in the 80's. That stuff is going to scream "dated" in about 10-15 years. Hopefully by then only a few people will be left who "can't live" without a certain fashion counter top. My gut is we'll have more important priorities by then.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
For a start or modest home white appliances wouldn't bother me--my start home had one white, one black, and one ivory, LOL!

But for someone in a trade-up or upscale home, I can see white being a detriment. I can't imagine having white appliances next to my solid wood cherry cabinets.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For a start or modest home white appliances wouldn't bother me--my start home had one white, one black, and one ivory, LOL!

But for someone in a trade-up or upscale home, I can see white being a detriment. I can't imagine having white appliances next to my solid wood cherry cabinets.
You'd be surprised.

In my experience, it's the first time home buyers who are HORRIFIED to see non-stainless appliances.

It's really bizarre sometimes - especially when we're looking at homes $125K and under.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 AM

43,377 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You'd be surprised.

In my experience, it's the first time home buyers who are HORRIFIED to see non-stainless appliances.

It's really bizarre sometimes - especially when we're looking at homes $125K and under.
One of the most expensive tendencies of buyers is to have expectations built by hours in front of TV.
Stainless, granite, staging, paint colors, and on and on.
Buyers require Sellers to do the stuff that gets "Top Dollar," when it is typically more affordable to install stuff that the individual wants.

It is oddly ironic to see buyers being Wow'ed by paint schemes that do not work with their belongings, and after paying a premium for the updated home then painting most of the interior, after rejecting homes that don't have fresh paint.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
Granite is natural stone. It is available in an infinite variety variety of colors and styles. Like anything else there are some timeless palates and some so personal that they appeal to almost no one.

Believe there are some homes, especially those that were thoughtfully built by those with an eye for value, that will never look dated. Sometimes these are the more modestly priced / sized homes in "upper end" area as the "top of the line" places tend to use more cutting edge choices that go out of favor while the lower priced stuff just does not hold up.

There are many people that treat tile and countertops and sinks as "easy updates" and in fact a home that has nicely done upgrades in these areas will sell much more quickly and for a better price. It is a far more cost effective remodel than ripping out every cabinet and appliance and starting from scratch, though if your kitchen is terrible worn and needs "all new" that should be considered to REQUIRE a choice of quality materials of current style. Corian and other solid surface materials can hold their own at certain price points with natural stone, but at certain price points it is a MUST.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is oddly ironic to see buyers being Wow'ed by paint schemes that do not work with their belongings, and after paying a premium for the updated home then painting most of the interior, after rejecting homes that don't have fresh paint.
I call these "trickery" houses. You know, the ones with wood (or wood laminate) floors, white trim, beige walls w/ black framed prints, stainless appliances & Pottery Barn/Ikea decor.

They'll trick a new buyer 9 times out of 10 and they'll fall in love. Even if the trickery house has a bad furnace, leaky roof and knob & tube wiring ... show them an HGTV decorated home and they're a goner. And trying to explain the value in an outdated decor home with new mechanicals is like banging my head against a wall.

I too always wonder what the heck they're going to do when they move in to that house - and discover that the sellers took their furniture and left them with a bazillion nail holes on that lovely carmel colored paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate