Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
I am talking to friends to get an agent. Hard to find a good one. I had a real estate agent, he pushed me to buy on my first time to check a house.
That's a shame you had to deal with someone like that. A lot of great agents out there, but unfortunately like any other profession there's always the bad seed. Those are the agents that don't get the referrals which most especially in this market is the bread and butter of their practice. Good luck and you're smart to ask friends/family about agents they've used so you know you're getting a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM

44 posts, read 178,622 times
Connect with an experienced agent, pick your towns, and price ranges, and look every day! Searching for a home takes time and committment! A good agent will cut your time and frustration in half!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM

75 posts, read 306,939 times
Agree you got to have an agent and be setup on a listing service. You can find a great agent...not all are good but the majority will be glad to partner with you and get you a nice home. Our company offers a service that puts a little indicator thing on your toolbar that alerts you when a matching properry hits the market. You don't have to keep checking emails. You can also get matches sent to your cell phone as well.

Also...probably most important. Make sure you are ready to submit an offer should the right house come along. If your looking now, you should have already worked with a mortgage person/bank. If not...you need to ASAP. You should have decided or been told what you can afford. You don't want to waste time on homes you can not purchase.

You want to make sure you can move on a house at any moment. That def. means a current pre-approval, and available funds for deposits(earnest money).

Be ready to go and make sure your agent is as well. If you get a notice a home has hit the market you may like...get there!!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Don't just get an agent, find one who agrees to be a BUYERS' agent and get that in writing.

If you're not using MLS with auto alerts, find a site that will do that. Your new agent should be able to do that. If not, get an agent who will/can.

The house we ended up buying only went on the market 24 hours before we bid on it. My buyer's agent was out there doing her camera magic for me within an hour of the sales agreement being signed. Good houses at a good price are going fast.

SouthShoreDad has good info.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,704 times
shopping for homes online has not been reliable for us either, the listings are almost always not up to date but are old and already sold. We have a public MLS site we can look at for the area we're looking at, if the house isn't on there then I know most likely the other listing is old and needs updated and likely new stuff isn't on there yet. MLS is the most reliable list

Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
I have been trying to buy a house. Whenever I see a good house online and go check it out. Often time, I was told that the house been sold. What should I do? Any advice? Do I just need to buy from a builder to save all the troubles. Thank you
Don't know where you live, but try this:

Welcome to Listingbook.com

It's a website that allows you to have MLS information pulled and sent to you in either a morning report, or you can look each day at, for example, perhaps mid-morning and then again mid-afternoon. It may not be active in your area; if that's the case, an agent can set you up with an MLS scanner if your area offers that service. Agents around here use both this one or the one offered by our MLS. (this one allows the buyer to "tweak" items that are priorities, the MLS one needs the agent to tweak the priorities.) The one in our area is great -- it will send a notice of a new listing within 5-10 minutes of the listing becoming active.

Also, GOOD agents are "in the know" -- these days, a lot of homes in desirable neighborhoods never hit the MLS, because they are snapped up before they can even be listed, so you would NEVER know about them. Agents talk to other agents, these days it's a constant stream of "hey, I've got a buyer looking in XYZ neighborhood, you got anything coming up?" I've got a home right now that are waiting for the owners to come back from a vacation and from an overseas assignment -- as soon as they are back, they are putting their home on the market, and we have agents begging us for a "preliminary showing." We may not even have to bother with photographs.

So -- get an agent who is busy in the neighborhood(s) you're looking for and get them working for you. Buying from a builder has its own set of problems, as anyone who has built a house can tell you -- extended deadlines, shoddy workmanship, uncompleted items, etc., etc. -- it's not any more pain-free than any other real estate transaction.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
When I was looking. I can tell you this.

You gotta be on it. Fast. You dilly dally you are gonna lose. I lost out on a few houses even though I was gonna offer more they went pending and sold. If you're in a hot area you need to be Johnny on the spot. Get a agent and have all your stuff ready to go. Your pre approval letter, your down payment clean anything on your record and don't use CC while in escrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate