Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

the car was probably bought on credit just like the house--most people rarely pay cash for either...
but I agree there is sense of entitlement--which is why many people bought homes they could not realistically afford
and the people who are selling these items also have a sense of entitlement that allows them to take advantage of people when they know there is no hope that person can really afford that purchase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
A short sale doesn't have to hurt your credit. I'm about to close a short sale deal where the seller never missed a payment. They needed to move, and the only way they could sell was by way of a short sale. The bank considered it, and approved it. It's best to check with your tax professional, though, just to be sure.
Are you sure about not hurting your credit with a short sale. At the best, it mortgage forgiveness will show up on their credit report as something along the line, "debt legally paid off for less than full amount" Still looks horrible to potential future lenders.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the car was probably bought on credit just like the house--most people rarely pay cash for either...
but I agree there is sense of entitlement--which is why many people bought homes they could not realistically afford
and the people who are selling these items also have a sense of entitlement that allows them to take advantage of people when they know there is no hope that person can really afford that purchase...
I guess you are correct. I purchase my cars in cash. Although my last BMW I got a 63 month loan but I paid it off in 8 months because I paying more in interest (4.8%) than I could be keeping the money in the bank or investing (the best interest rate I can get these days 2% in money markets and the stock markets are so volatile these days).

The credit markets are forever changed because of this housing mess. It hurts financially responsible borrowers the most.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:07 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
Maybe the co-owner is not in a position or doesn't want to sell. Why should they have to cough up cash because the OP needs to get out?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Maybe the co-owner is not in a position or doesn't want to sell. Why should they have to cough up cash because the OP needs to get out?
Because if home is co-owned and one owner wants out, situation can become messy, especially for an underwater mortgage.

If OP wants out, they will force the sell by the co owner no matter if he/she wants to object, or else co owner ends up payjng for entire property or the home sinks into foreclosure.

Good luck trying to sue the fellow co owner because it make not be cost effective to sue someone who does nit have much money and in the end lawyer fees will cost 5k-10k in real estate cases.

Pick your poison in this housing mess.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
Thanks all!
Me & co owner are on cool terms. No prob there.
To the non American, no comment. (cause it would get me banned. )
Renting is fer shur a good option, but a short sale is as well.

To the person who said it doesn't affect your credit if no payments are missed: Can you please elaborate?
Thank you!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
A short sale absolutely affects your credit. The impact may not be as bad if you've never missed payments. If you have missed payments, a short sale generally affects your credit as bad as a foreclosure does.

Keep in mind, your bank has to agree to a short sale. Why would they agree to a short sale when you're able to make your payments? Do you think they will just love the idea of taking less for the house than what you owe?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
WHERE would I look to find someone to assume the mortgage???
It's a great deal! No down payment, & you get a house basically for the price of rent.
You're kidding right? You think someone will assume your $148k mortgage when it's worth $100k? Is this a joke? Am I on Punk'd?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
Your only real option is to lease it. Contact a good property management company.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
You're kidding right? You think someone will assume your $148k mortgage when it's worth $100k? Is this a joke? Am I on Punk'd?
Are YOU a joke???
Ummmmm - maybe because someone is owning a house without putting anything DOWN & will end up with all the equity when the market goes back up - which it obviously will & if you don't know that please step away from your computer - NOW... Thank you.
And, ummm, just because I was making payments doesn't mean I'm not struggling too.
If you read the original post, the co owner no longer lives here.
And in case you haven't noticed, the economy is not quite what it was & jobs are cuttings hours...
Do you live in a box?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate