Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM

88 posts, read 296,882 times

Advertisements

i already paid a deposit for a new house i was supposed to buy. i just got laid off. do i get that deposit back now that i lost my job and cant buy the house anymore?

Last edited by Bo; 08-01-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Moved from Houston forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by structuralengineer1 View Post
i already paid a deposit for a new house i was supposed to buy. i just got laid off. do i get that deposit back now that i lost my job and cant buy the house anymore?

Earnest money contracts typically have a provision that allows for the return of "earnest money" in the event the buyer does not qualify for a loan to complete the purchase. You should read the contract you signed.

If you have made additional deposits for upgrades or changes, those may be lost, but this should also be addressed in the contract. If the home has not progressed construction wise to the point that the builder has incurred expense due to your specific upgrades, I would argue that those funds be returned, under the circumstances. Some builders will readily agree to this, but obviously others don't give a rip and resist providing refunds on extras.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 17,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by structuralengineer1 View Post
,my earnest deposit will be giving back to me if i back off the deal

Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Earnest money contracts typically have a provision that allows for the return of "earnest money" in the event the buyer does not qualify for a loan to complete the purchase. You should read the contract you signed.

If you have made additional deposits for upgrades or changes, those may be lost, but this should also be addressed in the contract. If the home has not progressed construction wise to the point that the builder has incurred expense due to your specific upgrades, I would argue that those funds be returned, under the circumstances. Some builders will readily agree to this, but obviously others don't give a rip and resist providing refunds on extras.
this is correct. if this is not in any paperwork, then it is solely up to how nice the builder is feeling.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
It would seem if you lose your job, you can not qualify so the money should be refunded but I an not a lawyer. When I was selling real estate that is how it worked. I admit, that was a few years ago.

Nita

Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM

88 posts, read 296,882 times
I got it back! They asked for loan denial letter. Since I lost my job, lender gave me loan denial letter.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Congrats on whatever part you want me to congratulate you for...Good Luck getting a new job....everything happens for a reason...maybe the house wasn't meant to be for you and you will find a way nicer home

Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 13,306 times
can a person get earnest money back if signed contract and change mind within 24 hours

Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiclue View Post
can a person get earnest money back if signed contract and change mind within 24 hours
Typically there are other contingencies involved with your contract. Here in WA state, if there is an inspection contingency, the buyer can back out within that time frame for any reason at all. What does your contract say about contingencies and time frames?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 PM

248 posts, read 674,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiclue View Post
In most cases yes. Just explain to your agent to tell the seller's agent about the change of hearts; the seller will agree since they haven't lost a lot of time and can easily put the house back on the market.

In the rare cases that the sellers refuse, during the attorney review process just make some completely unreasonable conditions and the sellers will definitely walk away. It might end up costing you a couple of hundred dollars for the attorney...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate