Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM

204 posts, read 875,448 times

Advertisements

Anyone had any land cleared/graded recently in NC? I'm in Surry County. I have my house picked out from Clayton Homes and was beginning to negotiate on some land when the deal fell through as the seller pulled out. I'm now needing to find land quickly as I was banking on the previous land deal as done and so I'm having to possibly purchase some land that is partially wooded/require grading (the first land was a corn field so minimal grading was going to be involved). I'm looking at probably having to clear 1/2 acre or so of trees (some of which might be good enough to sell but most aren't I don't think) with one property and the other property is probably only 1/4 or so covered in trees but it is quite hilly and would need to be leveled. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp02 View Post
Anyone had any land cleared/graded recently in NC? I'm in Surry County. I have my house picked out from Clayton Homes and was beginning to negotiate on some land when the deal fell through as the seller pulled out. I'm now needing to find land quickly as I was banking on the previous land deal as done and so I'm having to possibly purchase some land that is partially wooded/require grading (the first land was a corn field so minimal grading was going to be involved). I'm looking at probably having to clear 1/2 acre or so of trees (some of which might be good enough to sell but most aren't I don't think) with one property and the other property is probably only 1/4 or so covered in trees but it is quite hilly and would need to be leveled. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated!
How much money do you plan to spend to buy property? Have you considered going just over the state line to Carrol County, VA?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm pretty particular about the area I wanted to live (one of the reasons I chose to do the land/home thing rather than buy a pre-existing home) so I don't plan to look into land in another county. I realize that has kind of hand-cuffed me and I'm starting to look slightly outside my initial area. I'm only looking for 1-2 ac so I'm hoping to keeps costs below $20,000. Just tough to do when people are asking 10-15k for an acre or less and then having to pay to clear and grade as well.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty particular about the area I wanted to live (one of the reasons I chose to do the land/home thing rather than buy a pre-existing home) so I don't plan to look into land in another county. I realize that has kind of hand-cuffed me and I'm starting to look slightly outside my initial area. I'm only looking for 1-2 ac so I'm hoping to keeps costs below $20,000. Just tough to do when people are asking 10-15k for an acre or less and then having to pay to clear and grade as well.
I love Surry county, so I don't blame you. It's just that sometimes you can get cheaper prices up in Carroll. So you are looking for someone to clear land once you find it?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 AM

Well I know Clayton Homes has their people who can clear/grade for me but I would expect their prices to be higher than what I could find on my own. I've just never had to deal with grading/clearing so I have no idea what a fair cost would even be. The land that is in the best location for me does not seem like it'd be difficult to clear (the grass is pretty grown up but other than that there is like 5 trees maybe that would need to be taken down) but I'm afraid the grade work would be costly because the land goes downhill from the road and is not level at all right now. I would also prefer to have my home set up higher than the road rather than lower but I'm working with what I've got right now lol.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Well I know Clayton Homes has their people who can clear/grade for me but I would expect their prices to be higher than what I could find on my own. I've just never had to deal with grading/clearing so I have no idea what a fair cost would even be. The land that is in the best location for me does not seem like it'd be difficult to clear (the grass is pretty grown up but other than that there is like 5 trees maybe that would need to be taken down) but I'm afraid the grade work would be costly because the land goes downhill from the road and is not level at all right now. I would also prefer to have my home set up higher than the road rather than lower but I'm working with what I've got right now lol.
Did you have the land perked? Do you have someone in mind to put in your septic? That person would most likely have recommendations for an excavator.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I haven't perked any land yet because I haven't decided for sure which property to buy. My decision is going to be based on the price I can get the sellers negotiated to versus the price and difficulty of clearing the land. All of the property I am looking at has previously been perked although they have expired and more than likely I will just have Clayton Home's worker put in the septic.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 PM

Update to my question: I've found another bit of land now. It's actually two acres so double what I have been looking at size wise but currently listed at $7k more than what I wanted to spend on the land itself. I was looking at around $13k for land (not including grading and clearing) but this is listed at $20k. However, the thing about this new land is that it will take no clearing of trees or grading aside from the normal cutting of driveway, foundation, etc. There are some trees to the back of the property but as I said its two acres and only the back .75 acre or so is tree covered so I'd have plenty of yard and area for my home. It seems to me that it would only need to be bush hogged as the grass has grown up a bit but that's all. Am I wrong or would it pretty much be a wash as far as price if I got them down a bit from that $20k? Any advice?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Update to my question: I've found another bit of land now. It's actually two acres so double what I have been looking at size wise but currently listed at $7k more than what I wanted to spend on the land itself. I was looking at around $13k for land (not including grading and clearing) but this is listed at $20k. However, the thing about this new land is that it will take no clearing of trees or grading aside from the normal cutting of driveway, foundation, etc. There are some trees to the back of the property but as I said its two acres and only the back .75 acre or so is tree covered so I'd have plenty of yard and area for my home. It seems to me that it would only need to be bush hogged as the grass has grown up a bit but that's all. Am I wrong or would it pretty much be a wash as far as price if I got them down a bit from that $20k? Any advice?
Sounds like a more choice lot and maybe worth a bit more.

Do you have a realtor helping you at all? Are you real certain you know about all the good and bad things that might be associated with any land you might buy? You have to know a place really well to be sure you aren't putting your house in a less desirable area. So, of these two lots, regardless of the work you'd have to do on them, which one is in a better area?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
Just some considerations...Maybe you could call around and see what the hourly rate is for a few different excavating companies for a rough estimate on costs for a bulldozer/operator, per day, per job, or per hour, and also find out how much for digging a septic, also a drilling a well, unless you have city water nearby. How about electric? Is there someone who will run the lines for you? Some utility companies are cheaper than others. Some towns require more permits than others. There may be different costs depending on the proximity of utilities. Also, once your property is developed, what will your property tax and property insurance be? (find similar properties and do a comparison). Is there any difference between lots for these considerations? How about day light/sun exposure...good amount of daily sunshine...not in the shadow of a mountain? Any neighbors of concern...i.e., hog farms, saw mills, junk yards, school districts, traffic, that could affect the value of your property? Good luck, and enjoy your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate