Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM

239 posts, read 633,731 times

Advertisements

I have heard that the $8K tax credit for first time home buyers ends in November. What do people think will happen to the housing market once that ends? It seems there are a lot of first time buyers out there that are taking advantage of the credit. It makes sense to me that sales would drop off considerably once that ends as people that want to buy would buy before the credit expired. I know that existing home owners could still buy, but was curious to see what people's opinions are as far as what is going to happen. Will it make a difference or does the credit apply to such a small percentage of people that it won't really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM

761 posts, read 3,417,567 times
I think it really doesn't matter. My wife and I were not eligible for the credit and we still bought. There are deals out there that will wash that 8k even when that is over. I don't think they should extend it either.. Just remember who is paying for that 8K credit..

Old 07-28-2009, 10:59 AM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
I don't have a single buyer (and haven't had all year) that is eligible for the credit. It applies to so few folks that it won't have a huge impact, at least in my area.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
I have heard that the $8K tax credit for first time home buyers ends in November. What do people think will happen to the housing market once that ends? It seems there are a lot of first time buyers out there that are taking advantage of the credit. It makes sense to me that sales would drop off considerably once that ends as people that want to buy would buy before the credit expired. I know that existing home owners could still buy, but was curious to see what people's opinions are as far as what is going to happen. Will it make a difference or does the credit apply to such a small percentage of people that it won't really matter?

I don't think it will make much difference.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM

25 posts, read 80,129 times
At least 70%+ of the purchases I have closed this year and the pre-approvals I am working on now in MN are for 1st time homebuyers and ALL of them have qualified for the $8k.

It will have an impact here in a depressed market.

Those of you who have few to none qualifying...they make too much money or what?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM

761 posts, read 3,417,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogge View Post

Those of you who have few to none qualifying...they make too much money or what?

I myself already owned another property in the past three years.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
At least 70%+ of the purchases I have closed this year and the pre-approvals I am working on now in MN are for 1st time homebuyers and ALL of them have qualified for the $8k.

It will have an impact here in a depressed market.

They or a spouse previously owned in three years.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM

25 posts, read 80,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
They or a spouse previously owned in three years.
So you don't have renters all rallying to purchase with the 'triple lindy'...low rates, low prices and a free $8k? Every renter I come across here is considering purchasing.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
So you don't have renters all rallying to purchase with the 'triple lindy'...low rates, low prices and a free $8k? Every renter I come across here is considering purchasing.
Nope. Buyers are very cautious out here. They aren't getting homes for 50% off so they are waiting until they think that will occur.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM

274 posts, read 709,569 times
I have quite a few buyers who are trying to hit that mark. Unfortunately, they might run out of time, due to inventory, price/market fluctuations, time spent waiting for bank response, etc. We're heading into a period where sales drop off anyway, although I'd like to stay busy through the fall ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate