Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times

Advertisements

When you see a $1.00 co-broke for the first time, you will look at just about all of them.
Guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When you see a $1.00 co-broke for the first time, you will look at just about all of them.
Guaranteed.
My always looking was triggered by a $100 offering. I was a rookie then, so I learned to look from the get go.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
I have no issue with showing FSBO or flat fee listings.

This assumes, the seller responds to the call/message and finds it convenient to be shown.

I have yet to close one because such homes tend not to be competitive and thus sell the competition.

I keep meaning to have a second set of business card made for such appointments with only my office number. I cannot tell you how many Flat Fee sellers stalk me after a showing for feedback as late as 11:00 P.M. and as early as 7:00 AM. There have been a few, who have become outright nasty because the showing did not result in an offer.

While I can certainly appreciate their frustration, it's their belief that their asking price somehow determines what someone is going to pay for their home that must be overcome.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,923,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
On problems when there's a buyer agent representing buyer and the seller doing a FSBO, I assume you would have an attorney to handle everything on your end?
Absolutely.

Quote:
The challenge I've had with FSBO's is that sometimes the seller doesn't have all of their ducks in a row (I'm not directing that at you, so please don't take me wrong),
This would be my first experience doing this, so I do fear not being properly prepared, which is why there is no way I would do this w/o a RE attorney.

On the other hand, I have learned from others mistakes, and I'm pretty aware of the pitfalls that some of the others have alluded to. But when you do something for the first time, there is always the danger of screwing something up. But then if you don't ever try, you never end up learning for yourself.

Quote:
but when I've dealt with situations like that sometimes it really turned into a nightmare for everyone - both buyer and seller. So IF you're doing a FSBO, have a good RE attorney who can handle things for you, and if limited broker situation that they'll do the same thing to make it an easy process for both you and the buyers. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, the answer is, yes, I'll show a FSBO and I'll show a limited representation listing (which are two entirely different beasts, by the way, if you have limited representation, even if it's just to get the listing on the MLS, you have representation as far as the buyer's agent is concerned and that severely restricts their interactions with you legally).
I don't follow what you mean here. With the bare bones MLS type service, there is no representation whatsoever. At least not with the service I've been looking at. They do have an option to pay more for limited assistance, if that's what you mean.

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I keep meaning to have a second set of business card made for such appointments with only my office number. I cannot tell you how many Flat Fee sellers stalk me after a showing for feedback as late as 11:00 P.M. and as early as 7:00 AM. There have been a few, who have become outright nasty because the showing did not result in an offer.

Just as there are unscrupulous and unprofessional agents out there, so are there sellers who lack basic common sense.

For example, I had an Agent schedule an appointment to see a home I had listed with a realtor -- I asked the service if it was a preview or a showing. the agent said showing. (I was in the middle of a conference all and didn't want to interrupt it for a preview).

So I parked around the corner and waited for the "showing" to occur. When the agent went in the house, and then came out with no client ever showing up, I drove back up and asked her where her client was. She lied straight to my face and said they had already left (I watched the whole thing occur, so there was no doubt). When I confronted her with the fact that I was around the corner watching the whole thing, the lies became more elaborate and creative, until she finally fessed up, and then rationalized her lies with some new ones.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:52 AM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I don't follow what you mean here. With the bare bones MLS type service, there is no representation whatsoever. At least not with the service I've been looking at. They do have an option to pay more for limited assistance, if that's what you mean.

Thanks.
With the MLS type of service you are LEGALLY represented by a real estate agent. You are just represented in a different way. From a legal standpoint you have an agency relationship with the brokerage that does the MLS listing for you.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,052,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no issue with showing FSBO or flat fee listings.

Amen, sister. This is why after a certain time of night if my cell rings and I don't recognize the number I let it go to VM. I try and be available to everyone, but geesh we're people too and getting calls very early in the morning or late at night just goes against basic courtesy. Had one client call me at 6:30AM after I had worked until 2AM, the number came up unknown so I thought maybe it was my son in the states and was an emergency - turned out to be one of my clients and I pointed out we really needed to work on time zone differences. He told me 'oh, we're in the same time zone!' Needless to say with 4 1/2 hours sleep I wasn't a very happy camper. We're still friends and I was even invited to his wedding and reception, but he never called me that early again

Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
With the MLS type of service you are LEGALLY represented by a real estate agent. You are just represented in a different way. From a legal standpoint you have an agency relationship with the brokerage that does the MLS listing for you.
I see, thanks for clarifying.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Had one client call me at 6:30AM after I had worked until 2AM, the number came up unknown so I thought maybe it was my son in the states and was an emergency - turned out to be one of my clients and I pointed out we really needed to work on time zone differences.
Yeah, a little common courtesy goes a long way.

On the flip side of that, I had an agent who either would not return my calls or emails at all, or did so only after I had to follow up with subsequent calls/emails. In some cases, I got no response at all.

That's not the kind of "representation" I was hoping for.

(of course, I have enough common decency and respect not to call them at odd hours of the day).

The bottom line is that no one cares about the sale of your home more than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate