Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM

11,815 posts, read 34,293,937 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share some of the more knee slapping expereinces...hope all you professionals will too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 AM

11,815 posts, read 34,293,937 times
I had a very nice lady ask me to help her buy a small house in the suburbs...$200,000 - $225,000. (Which is a little below what average is, but doable)

She looks at 8 houses over a two week period. She writes an offer and it is accepted. Her *boyfriend* is with her for the inspection. I have never heard her talk about a *boyfriend* before. That's okay, I don't know everything. She is approved for a loan. We go to closing.

She asks me questions about the title. Both the closer and I try to explain "in severalty", "joint tenants" & "tenants in common" types of holding title. She asks about sharing title? We tell her about "quit claiming" all or a portion of her ownership. She specially asks about sharing ownership with her boyfriend. I told her that it would be better to have him inherit the property thru her will, and to not give him ownership all or part. That she needed to discuss this with a real estate attorney. She says your right, it's stupid.

Well to make a long story shorter. She calls me Monday. She needs a new house to live in. Oh, are you going to sell the current property? No, she says and starts sobbing. Well the *boyfriend* convinced her into quit claiming 50% interest in her house....then of course the *boyfriend* ditched her and was still married. But the ex wife got the half ownership of the house in the divorce. Ex wife brought a partition lawsuit to sell the house. And won! Ex-wife picked the Realtor (husband of the divorce attorney)...nothing left over!

So now we are looking for a smaller house.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM

279 posts, read 1,855,791 times
That is so sad. I understand the wife's anger, but come on, don't take the lady's house.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:13 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,923,061 times
I feel so sorry for this person. What an expensive lesson to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate