Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times

Advertisements

Plus the credit union will require a title search to make sure everythings OK.

But you could be getting a good deal - guy just wants to get away from his X wife. I wouldn't rule this out if the CU says OK. How long have you lived in Springfield?

P.S. If you found out about this deal on Craigslist - beware it may be a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 105,001 times
creeksitter: i know i told him that and he even gave me the number for COUNTY OFFICE AND ASK FOR ASSESSOR OFFICE ... he also sent me pics and ya that's exactly like chuck posts except the stairs now has ugly green carpet. and i think im gonna keep the boat... i linked it but apparently u cant see it.

im in barrington right now, i really wanna buy it. what's the first step? go visit him personally and ask for contract then go to my CU? but since he is 4 hr drive away i will ask him to fax the contracts so the lawyers can review it.

Last edited by iamhgp; 08-07-2009 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 PM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhgp View Post
creeksitter: i know i told him that and he even gave me the number for COUNTY OFFICE AND ASK FOR ASSESSOR OFFICE ... he also sent me pics and ya that's exactly like chuck posts except the stairs now has ugly green carpet. and i think im gonna keep the boat... i linked it but apparently u cant see it.

im in barrington right now, i really wanna buy it. what's the first step? go visit him personally and ask for contract then go to my CU? but since he is 4 hr drive away i will ask him to fax the contracts so the lawyers can review it.
Since you're not paying cash, your first step would be getting a loan pre-approval.

We've told you that you're going to have a hard time getting a loan approval without any income. Please don't waste anyone's time with contracts until you know whether or not you can get a loan.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 AM

the guy said he won't fax me the deed of sale. he wants me to go check out the property personally. so i will just go with my CU and say i wanna buy a property then they pre approve a loan? i can do that.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:46 AM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
the guy said he won't fax me the deed of sale. he wants me to go check out the property personally. so i will just go with my CU and say i wanna buy a property then they pre approve a loan? i can do that.
Sure. Your credit union will be more than happy to tell you what you're able to afford with no income and no job.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM

chuck actually i got my car loan from the same CU when i didn't have job too 2 yrs. ago. now my car has been paid off. it helps that u have a sister with her own biz and a good amount of savings in the bank. i honestly don't know why i did it before.. why i bought a car with no job.. hahaha. and now im doing it again. maybe... i need a motivation to get myself a job... if i have savings and im currently debt free... i am not 101% in searching for jobs. the difference is... i had almost 50% downpayment in my car loan where as now... i will opt for 0 down if possible.

Last edited by iamhgp; 08-08-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
actually. this guy sounds too good to be true. $45k for EVERYTHING he owns. he said he will leave his motorhome, truck, electronics, furnitures... thats just insane... but i think he is broken hearted he said he just got divorced and tired and just wanna go back home to his country. he said there are no back taxes and that everything is kosher - what does it mean? he said he actually just bought it 2 yrs ago and rehabbed it. so it looks like everything is taken care of... now i fear though that his "tenant" is his ex-wife who he said lives downstairs....
This post in particular made my mind scream "SCAM!"

The answers are all too slick, too "just what you want to hear", too much personal information and too good of a deal. Is the guy's home country Nigeria, by any chance?

First step, even before talking to your CU. Find out if this guy even owns the property. Find out the name from the assessors office (look up the number for the assessors office on your own, and see if it matches the one he gave you, that could be part of the scam) and ask him for photo ID when you meet him in person. Ask the assessor for the mailing address of the owner. If it is other than that property, look up the person on dex and call them, see if they know anything about the property being for sale. The assessors office can also confirm for you when the guy bought the property, so you can check that part of his story.

If that all checks out, then Step 2. Talk to the CU, see if you can even qualify.

If you get the banks ok, then Step 3. There should be absolutely NO question in your mind that you should look at the property before buying it. Meet the guy there (bring either your attorney or schedule an inspector to meet you there, or at the very least, bring someone you trust with you, don't go alone), have him use his key to get you in...at least to the side he lives in, have him schedule a walkthrough of the other unit at the same time so you can see the entire building.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Maybe the banker will wonder why you are wanting-- O down financing --when you have a --good amount of savings in the bank

If I were a banker I would say, " if you aren't willing to risk any of YOUR money, why should I finance 100% and risk the bank's money "

Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 PM

lacerta: good advice. thanks. he is from pakistan. he sent me a pic. actually his last email sounds fishy... he mentioned something like... i dont get off talking to girls?? WTF? we're talking sale of property and he sound like a horny man just looking for "fun".

Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 AM

69 posts, read 294,569 times
Quote:
lacerta: good advice. thanks. he is from pakistan. he sent me a pic. actually his last email sounds fishy... he mentioned something like... i dont get off talking to girls?? WTF? we're talking sale of property and he sound like a horny man just looking for "fun".
OMG lmao....RUN away form this guy. Do NOT go there even with cops..looks like a person bored on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate