Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,253,480 times

Advertisements

I do not have a lot of experience in this but my buyer's agent was a godsend. She took care of everything and I mean everything. I barely had to lift a finger except to send documentation in for my mortgage app. She was fantastic, I could not have done it without her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,175,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
I just closed on my property 3 days ago. We went in without a buyer's agent. The seller negotiated and got his listing agent to drop his commission to 2%.
The listing agent admitted that the seller would not have agreed to the sales price if I had brought in my own agent. Everything went smoothly at the closing table. In the end the seller paid 2% commission to his agent and saved himself 4% total.
???????????????

You mean if you would have had a buyers agent, the listing agent would have gotten 3% and your buyers agent had gotten 3%, but since you did not have a buyers agent, the listing agent/agency only got 2% ?

I wonfer if that real estate agency will be in business next month.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM

270 posts, read 967,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
???????????????

You mean if you would have had a buyers agent, the listing agent would have gotten 3% and your buyers agent had gotten 3%, but since you did not have a buyers agent, the listing agent/agency only got 2% ?

I wonder if that real estate agency will be in business next month.
The original agreement between the seller and his listing agent, would have been a commission of 3% for the seller agent and 3% for the buyer's agent. I came in with no buyers agent and made an offer 20% below the asking price. The seller then turned to his agent and said he would only sell if the selling agent reduced his commission to 2% and the seller also countered back at 15% off the asking price. The paperwork specified that there was no buyers agent and thus the seller was not responsible for paying the buyer's agent commission. At that point the seller's agent agreed to a reduced commission and presented his counter offer of 15% off asking price to me.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,407,531 times
I don't think it matters how much the seller came off list price.

What matters is...

Did you pay fair market value?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM

270 posts, read 967,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I don't think it matters how much the seller came off list price.

What matters is...

Did you pay fair market value?
I paid lower than the comps. Specifically, I paid 4% below the last foreclosure comp.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,175,810 times
Quote:
The original agreement between the seller and his listing agent, would have been a commission of 3% for the seller agent and 3% for the buyer's agent. I came in with no buyers agent and made an offer 20% below the asking price. The seller then turned to his agent and said he would only sell if the selling agent reduced his commission to 2% and the seller also countered back at 15% off the asking price. The paperwork specified that there was no buyers agent and thus the seller was not responsible for paying the buyer's agent commission. At that point the seller's agent agreed to a reduced commission and presented his counter offer of 15% off asking price to me.
I always presumed the listing agreement was strictly between the seller and his realtor.

Is it commen to have the listing agreement state-------"3% for the seller's agent and 3% for the buyers agent " ?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM

43,249 posts, read 76,999,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I always presumed the listing agreement was strictly between the seller and his realtor.

Is it commen to have the listing agreement state-------"3% for the seller's agent and 3% for the buyers agent " ?
It is common here in North Carolina.
NC Association of Realtors Standard Listing forms indicate the total commission to be paid to the Listing Agent, and the amount that the Listing Agent agrees to offer to a Buyers Agent.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 PM

It's a NAR rule that total compensation as well as the split being offered is included in the listing agreement.

• Standard of Practice 1-12
When entering into listing contracts, REALTORS® must advise sellers/ landlords of:
1) the REALTOR®’s company policies regarding cooperation and the amount(s) of any compensation that will be offered to subagents, buyer/tenant agents, and/or brokers acting in legally recognized non-agency capacities;
2) the fact that buyer/tenant agents or brokers, even if compensated by listing brokers, or by sellers/landlords may represent the interests of buyers/tenants; and
3) any potential for listing brokers to act as disclosed dual agents, e.g., buyer/tenant agents. (Adopted 1/93, Renumbered 1/98, Amended 1/03)

Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,219,524 times
Quote:
I just closed on my property 3 days ago. We went in without a buyer's agent. The seller negotiated and got his listing agent to drop his commission to 2%.
The listing agent admitted that the seller would not have agreed to the sales price if I had brought in my own agent. Everything went smoothly at the closing table. In the end the seller paid 2% commission to his agent and saved himself 4% total.
The seller probably saved more than that, unless you are a contractor and did your own building inspection, as the disclosed dual agent probably didn't push the seller to repair certain safety items uncovered in the building inspection or offer you an incentive to fix it after closing. In almost every sale I look up in my MLS the buyer winds up paying more when there is a disclosed dual agent than those buyers who have their own separate representation.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 AM

How many of the more than 1 million folks with a real estate license have you surveyed to discover that they would not give the advice that their earnest money is at risk?

It's spelled out in CO offers to buy real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate