U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 17,395 times

Advertisements

We bought a house and our builder after settlement continued to have his agent show our home as if it were still a model for several months before we were fully moved in and settled. He did this without our permission or knowledge. He also retained a key without our knowledge supposedly in case anything needed to be fixed in our house. Isn't this against the law. It doesn't seem ethical to me.
Has anyone experienced this or have any opinions?
Thanks
Oliver
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,100,649 times
The common courtesy, would have been to have some agreement, and keeping a key, is not normal, as most builders use whats called a custom carpenter key, that fits all their homes, and you have to have a locksmith, change it out, once you have made the deal. You would probably have allowed the showings, but should have been notified.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:15 AM

14,716 posts, read 35,606,041 times
Well if you owned the home and he was still showing it without your permission, that seems like trespassing, or breaking and entering or something.

I do agree with OMB that in subdivisions they usually make a master key that works for all of the homes. I have to say I'm stunned that your agent didn't tell you to get the house rekeyed immediately. All subs have access to those keys while working on the house. If you haven't done it already, key your house rekeyed.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 AM

9,734 posts, read 8,677,642 times
The builder is supposed to PAY you to use your home as a model. The normal fee is like $150 per showing.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Thank you for taking the time and your great responses which were a big help. I knew something didn't seem right about the whole thing and I didn't know about the master keys.
What was funny was that rather telling us we should get the locks changed, when the agent finally returned our key to us after we were fully moved in she said - if we just turned it in the tumbler, it would 'automatically' change the lock!
She told another neighbor the same thing - is that how it works nowadays??

we had never heard of this kind of key.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,517,003 times
Yes, once you use your issued key the tumblers drop and it cannot be opened with a builders key.

Every REALTOR in my area has a builders key to open new homes.

Showing your home after closing is out of line in my opinion.

But, in some neighborhoods we will show new homes that are under contract. With permission of the listing agent.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,832,146 times
Changing your locks is good advice. Put up no tresspassing signs.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 PM

thank you faabala and smartygurl

but i am getting very suspicious of this 'lock and tumbler' situation. first of all we had already used our lock using the key issued at settlement. so according to this, the master builder's key should not have worked after that.

secondly we had renters who lived there while while their own house was being built and they also had a copy of our key to use.

after we finally moved in for good, several months later, is when the builder's agent came over and supposedly gave us the key that (she and the builder) had been using...so they must have had an additional key made for themselves because the builder's key should not have worked once the 'tumblers dropped' correct?

and that is when she told us that the tumblers would drop and the lock would automatically change....I guess once again.....i mean this is really a joke.

can anyone tell me to a site where i can read and learn about these magical keys that once used the tumbler's fall....again and again.

i too would advise anyone moving into a new home or any home....to immediately have your locks all changed because what's tumbling here isn't the locks!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:24 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,644,248 times
If he no longer has a consent to enter ;that is trespassing in a habitation which is a pretty serious crime in most states. Having a key is no right to entry.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,832,146 times
How about getting a restraining order too? Or a big, loud German sheperd dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate