Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times

Advertisements

Is there any restrictions to the $8000 tax credit?

if a house is listed at $50,000 or so, could you still get the $8000 tax credit? does 1/2 a duplex qualify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM

280 posts, read 1,041,930 times
Up to 10% of the house, so a 50K house gets you a 5K credit.
An 80K house or more gets you the full 8K.

ETA--yes there are many restrictions--income, not having owned a house in 3 yrs, etc. I don't know why a duplex wouldn't qualify (townhomes do, condos do) but maybe someone else here can confirm.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Up to 10% of the house, so a 50K house gets you a 5K credit.
An 80K house or more gets you the full 8K.

ETA--yes there are many restrictions--income, not having owned a house in 3 yrs, etc. I don't know why a duplex wouldn't qualify (townhomes do, condos do) but maybe someone else here can confirm.
interesting. thanks for the quick response

I am early 20s looking to buy a cheap 1st house. Do you know if Multi familys are eligible? same question for commercial mixed use (business downstairs, APT upstairs)

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 08-10-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Is there any restrictions to the $8000 tax credit?

if a house is listed at $50,000 or so, could you still get the $8000 tax credit? does 1/2 a duplex qualify?
I see condos stating that it's available for those, so I don't think it's that restrictive. As I've been repeating, the credit is ultimately a negative if you're looking for a good price.

Where were you planning to find a 50k house ?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I see condos stating that it's available for those, so I don't think it's that restrictive. As I've been repeating, the credit is ultimately a negative if you're looking for a good price.

Where were you planning to find a 50k house ?

Hey, recognize you from NJ forum.

Kicking around ideas right now. I want to start a business within the next 3-5 years, and I need to gain capital for that obviously. Thinking of moving out towards Phillipsburgh if I can find a decent paying job out that way.

Lot of really cheap places out that way (for a reason, jobs are scarce, but I work in an industry that is literally everywhere so i might be able to find something)

Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Hey, recognize you from NJ forum.

Kicking around ideas right now. I want to start a business within the next 3-5 years, and I need to gain capital for that obviously. Thinking of moving out towards Phillipsburgh if I can find a decent paying job out that way.

Lot of really cheap places out that way (for a reason, jobs are scarce, but I work in an industry that is literally everywhere so i might be able to find something)
I'd suggest digging through threads on investment property. Availability of cheap places is a plus, but rents may be lower (and the tenants might prove more challenging)

I've noticed that multi family homes seem to sell at a discount to single family homes, in neighborhoods where SFHs are at bubble prices. I don't really know why this is (maybe they're in worse condition, though I've seen SFHs in poor condition listed at high prices). My theory is that price of property that is primarily rental, is constrained by rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate