Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times

Advertisements

When fixes are easy and inexpensive there is still an issue for many sellers and buyers -- it gets into the whole "it was good enough for me" vs "I don't want their cast off junk" mindset that happens even in HOT markets.

From a literally a burned out lightbulb to a missing sink stopper I have seen people be completely unreasonable. I have to make a frantic run to a hardware store to get the silly little rollers for toiler paper dispensers when a buyer freaks out at a morning of the closing walk through. It is very odd what happens to some people's brains when they asked to fork over a large part of the income for the next 30 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
I had a buyer walk on a 30 year old condo a couple of weeks ago after a building inspection The seller has owned the unit since it was new. The furnace & air conditioner was old and the radon test came back high. There were a few other small repairs, plus a couple that the homeowners association was going to take care (water damage & evidence of carpenter ants in basement). The buyer didn't want a radon system put in because it would be the only one in the complex with it. They blamed me for trying to 'sell them a defective home' repeatedly, so I subsequently tried them after they formally withdrew their offer.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
Back to my mention of the roof. It is 18 years old right now, no leaks. Could be approaching end-of-life, but I don't know if they are 20-, 30-, or 40-year shingles. Furnace? Its older (~15 or 20 years), but works very well. We have in inspected every year and when we had the a/c replaced, we asked about the furnace. Everyone said it was a good one, they don't build them like that anymore, yada yada. It is what it is. Driveway? Yeah, that totally needs repaving. I will be the first to admit it. I will just price for that one, and my money says they next owners won't repave it either LOL

Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
I'm a 1st time homebuyer and consumed with HGTV's my first place. A lot of the couples ask the sellers to pay for their closing cost. Is this common? Or is it a state-by-state thing.

I'm looking to buy a townhome in Northern New Jersey and was wondering if I should ask the seller to pay for closing costs or would my offer just get rejected for that idea.
We have never paid a buyers closing costs on four of our homes sold....
One in Florida, two in Jersey, and one in PA.....
Nor did we pay the buyers closing costs for my mothers home.
My daughters buyers in Florida and New York never asked for closing costs.
Our daughter didn't get help on closing costs on her first North Jersey home......
I really think this is a brand NEW thing arising from good 'ole HGTV, of which I love.........but, disagree on this point.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
The roof issue is big.........I have heard realtors on the phone getting estimates and talking with sellers about who they would choose. I myself have had to replace a roof or two before a sale.
Its never a fun thing to deal with but I can understand...no buyer wants to move into leaks.
My husband having done roofing in his teen years was allowed to replace one himself....thank goodness. The cost of roofs can vary get at least four estimates. The fourth one here in PA was the best price with the same materials.....and we were thrilled to save on up to four thousand dollars!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post

They blamed me for trying to 'sell them a defective home' repeatedly, so I subsequently tried them after they formally withdrew their offer.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sorry, hard day at work. Several times after the buyers got their inspection report, they blamed me for trying to sell them a home with a lot of problems.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:55 PM

An agent put an investment property up for sale in 2007. It went under contract quickly. Home inspection revealed that the roof was nearing the end of it's expected life. Buyers wanted a new roof. Contract fell apart.

The place is vacant and remains for sale, 2 years later. A new roof would have probably run about $10K and this place would have closed in the $700's, back then. Seller will be lucky to net mid $600's and that roof is now 2 years older.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
We have never paid a buyers closing costs on four of our homes sold....
One in Florida, two in Jersey, and one in PA.....
Nor did we pay the buyers closing costs for my mothers home.
My daughters buyers in Florida and New York never asked for closing costs.
Our daughter didn't get help on closing costs on her first North Jersey home......
I really think this is a brand NEW thing arising from good 'ole HGTV, of which I love.........but, disagree on this point.
Sellers assisting with closing costs and rate buy downs was common in the later 70's- early 80's when rate went through the roof.

Sellers assisting with closing costs occured in some areas NY tri state area, Boston, Florida, Cali and Arizone for sure) during prior real estate busts.

Seller assists happen when the market strongly favors buyers.
And no doubt about it, HGTV is fanning this flame.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Just MHO, but, despite my post, the sink stopper? That would really make me wonder why the seller couldn't take 5 minutes to fix it before even listing.
I'll be dammned if I could figure out how to re-connect it to that rod down in the sink, after 30 minutes of messing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate