Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,855,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISoldMyHouseMyself1 View Post
View the thread, ISoldMyHouseMyself.
OK, I viewed the thread in question. It shed no light on what I asked before: what does that have to do with the OP's question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 AM

341 posts, read 1,532,129 times
I close next week. My contract says the fixtures, appliances and furnace and boiler must be in "working condition" at closing, and that the roof must be "free of leaks."

Sounds like the OPs situation is similar. If they are offering to repair, they should pay. If they are offering to split the cost of replacement, I would jump at it.

What "repair" means is where it gets sticky. Sounds like they want to "patch" it so it works for a few weeks while they get out of Dodge and declare it "working".

If you want a leg to stand on, get your own heating guy/plumber to give a prescription for a proper repair... better yet, get two. If the current situation could be classified as "hazardous," I'd have them include that in the paperwork. If they can address the current "patch" prescription as insufficient, that might help.

Bottom line, you need a pro to dispute what constitutes a valid "repair."

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM

394 posts, read 1,045,786 times
Can you negotiate a price reduction at this point? Or - have the sellers give you cash back at closing and you replace the furnace? I've seen closings where things like this work.

My home inspectors make sure the heat and AC is working regardless of what time of year it is. They crank up the heat to see if it passes inspection and then they do the same with the AC.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,023,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I close next week. My contract says the fixtures, appliances and furnace and boiler must be in "working condition" at closing, and that the roof must be "free of leaks."

Sounds like the OPs situation is similar. If they are offering to repair, they should pay. If they are offering to split the cost of replacement, I would jump at it.

What "repair" means is where it gets sticky. Sounds like they want to "patch" it so it works for a few weeks while they get out of Dodge and declare it "working".

If you want a leg to stand on, get your own heating guy/plumber to give a prescription for a proper repair... better yet, get two. If the current situation could be classified as "hazardous," I'd have them include that in the paperwork. If they can address the current "patch" prescription as insufficient, that might help.

Bottom line, you need a pro to dispute what constitutes a valid "repair."
Ditto here. If they're offering to split the difference just go for it JMO. You could close, it could completely break down and well . . . though the choice is yours, but I personally would just split the difference, be done with it and enjoy your new home. Unless as quoted above a professional determines that it is a valid repair - not just a quick fix, you know?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,394,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
My home inspectors make sure the heat and AC is working regardless of what time of year it is. They crank up the heat to see if it passes inspection and then they do the same with the AC.
If it is too hot or too cold outside, that can be damaging to the unit.

Inspectors here put right into the inspection report if they are unable to test a system because of the outside temperature.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,904,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Yep agree with Drover...I don't think you'd have much of a case.
I have to disagree. He contracted to purchase a house with a working furnace. It has now become apparent that the furnace is not working.
My guess is that the seller doesn't have the money to lay out now, and/or doesn't want to take the time & effort to repair a furnace he will neer use.
If I were advising this buyer, I would suggest that they request the seller put money from the transaction into an escrow account, so the buyer can have the furnace replaced after closing. The amount requested should be at least the full amouont of the estimate that he has apparently gotten to do the required work.
If the seller says no to that, and you still really want this house, you can still consider his offer to split the repair.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,527,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Where the heck do you live that (in August) the seller's discovered that the furnace is broken?
My first thought, too.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,584,519 times
Look at it this way - you WERE buying a 17 year old furnace. Once it is replaced you will be buying a NEW furnace. The seller probably could have done a quick easy repair to help it last until after the closing. Splitting the cost seems fair to me.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,858,077 times
I don't know exactly how they are set up in oil or gas fired system but in coal boiler they have domestic hot water coil that might be 50 feet or longer that goes into the top of the boiler. This provides instant hot water so to speak, the longer the coil is the more GPM it can provide.

Good chance that is what is leaking if it's the same setup as a coal boiler becsue they have a gasket and usually when something starts leaking that is what it is.

Usually not that expensive to get fixed, have you asked what is broke and estimated cost?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,527,253 times
This reaffirms my faith in mankind. The seller disclosed the problem and the extent of it, as required.

I am going to assume that the OP knew that the existing mechanical was not brand new and the agreed upon price reflected this. The OP now has an opportunity to get a new mechanical at half price. This strikes me as reasonable.

But these are unreasonable times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate