Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 18,959 times

Advertisements

So I'm buying a house and we made an offer with the opinion that the roof was relatively new because it looked new and all the other roofs around it were in worse condition. We are under contract and just had the home inspection. The home inspector said that the roof is relatively new and in great condition but no permits were pulled on it because he checked before he arrived. We contacted the seller, who bought it in a foreclosure auction, and he said they did nothing with the roof. So i need advice on what the smart option would be on this like asking him to repair it or getting money off the offering price. Also we found it has a carpenter ant problem. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haikumonster View Post
So I'm buying a house and we made an offer with the opinion that the roof was relatively new because it looked new and all the other roofs around it were in worse condition. We are under contract and just had the home inspection. The home inspector said that the roof is relatively new and in great condition but no permits were pulled on it because he checked before he arrived. We contacted the seller, who bought it in a foreclosure auction, and he said they did nothing with the roof. So i need advice on what the smart option would be on this like asking him to repair it or getting money off the offering price. Also we found it has a carpenter ant problem. Thank you!
If it is in good condition what are you going to ask the seller to repair?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Get a clue!

Quote:
How in the WORLD would a seller that bought the place AS A FORECLOSURE have any insight into why there was no permit for a roof that APPEARS TO BE NEWER THAN NEIGHBORING HOUSES?!!

And why should the SELLER reduce the price for a NEWER roof that is "in great condition" ? Maybe the previous was a roofer and did his own house, slipped off and couldn't pay his mortgage and that is how it got foreclosed. WHO KNOWS? WHY DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD GET 'money off" for this???

The carpenter ant "problem" is a separate issue. Depending on what sort of DAMAGE (if any) maybe you should focus on that --

Old 09-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Just the fact if I go to sell it in 10ish years and it seems like the last roof was put on 25-30 years ago. Wouldn't sellers go into the purchase thinking it needed a new roof? And what will insurance companies do if they think it's old? Will they deny me insurance until I replace it?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
How in the WORLD would a seller that bought the place AS A FORECLOSURE have any insight into why there was no permit for a roof that APPEARS TO BE NEWER THAN NEIGHBORING HOUSES?!!

And why should the SELLER reduce the price for a NEWER roof that is "in great condition" ? Maybe the previous was a roofer and did his own house, slipped off and couldn't pay his mortgage and that is how it got foreclosed. WHO KNOWS? WHY DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD GET 'money off" for this???

The carpenter ant "problem" is a separate issue. Depending on what sort of DAMAGE (if any) maybe you should focus on that --

I only asked the seller because he renovated the rest of the house and was just asking if he new anything about it.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Quote:
Just the fact if I go to sell it in 10ish years and it seems like the last roof was put on 25-30 years ago. Wouldn't sellers go into the purchase thinking it needed a new roof?
All you say then is, "We bought the house in 2015 and it has not been replaced since we lived here. I don't know how old the roof is." Age or lack of it isn't always a fair barometer of the condition of the roof. You could have a brand new roof and have a bad hail storm and need another new roof.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Hmmm I have never heard of pulling a permit to re-do a roof.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
Just the fact if I go to sell it in 10ish years and it seems like the last roof was put on 25-30 years ago. Wouldn't sellers go into the purchase thinking it needed a new roof? And what will insurance companies do if they think it's old? Will they deny me insurance until I replace it?
Going out on a limb and thinking this is your first home purchase?

The age of the roof is never the problem; it's the condition.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:08 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times
If the roof is in great condition, what do you want the seller to give you money for?

Old 09-24-2015, 06:33 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
First, carpenter ants attack wood that is already damaged so that might be a very big concern. Regarding the roof, when something is replaced or added that requires a permit but no permit was obtained or closed, lenders may not lend, insurance companies might refuse to cover damage, the work might have been shoddy or done by an unlicensed or untrained person, and materials might be substandard. Plus, most future buyers will probably expect you to resolve unpermitted work at your expense so you end up holding the bag.

So, my first question: have you or your agent contacted your building and permitting department to double check on the permit? Was it necessary in the first place (I would expect so) and was it obtained? It's possible that your inspector was mistaken. Be sure that this really is an issue. Next, if it is an issue, ask the permitting people what is involved (procedure, cost, and time) in getting an after-the-fact permit issued. Next, check your contract to see what, if anything, it says about the seller's responsibility regarding closing permits. Finally, renegotiate with the seller--have him pay to obtain and close the permit prior to closing and be prepared to have the closing date delayed allowing enough time for that to happen.

I wouldn't automatically walk away but I also wouldn't just assume that this is a paperwork issue. Most inspectors are pretty good but I don't know if they look for the same things that permit inspectors look for. Until you know what you are dealing with, you could have some serious costs on the horizon. It's best to know as much as possible right from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate