Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 06:34 AM

194 posts, read 238,226 times

Advertisements

We are considering a rent to own... Backstory....

My realtor has had her home on the market for a bit, and they need to get out of it. They have had 3 offers, all have fallen through. She asked me if we want to rent to own it. The reason we cannot buy it is we thought our foreclosure was done in March, turns out on our CAIVRS report, it took 9 months for the lender to get $ from HUD, so we were just going to wait until spring to start looking again.

The house is exactly what I would like in a home. I have read much about this and know it's been around for a very long time.

What are the pro's and con's of it?

Thank you for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 AM

Dang, no one huh?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
I am not expert, but your case sounds like a suitable one for RTO. It will depend on the cost of rent payments, of course. And, whether you are confident you will be able to get a mortgage later on when you think you will be able to. Be sure you have a really well written contract, too, so the property can't be sold to someone else while you are living there and trying to find a lender. And of course, get receipts for all your rent payments and take pictures before you move in.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
On my way out the door. So here's a couple of pointers.

You MUST pay fair market rent - ask your Realtor to document rent comps at the time you sign contract. Any money above fair market rent should be paid by separate check and preferably to a title company for your down payment. Rent may NOT be applied to down payment.

I like this method because you get to wear the dress before the prom. I don't like it because you are under a very lengthy contract, one that is well known for litigious activity.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
You didn't say what state you're in, as it might be state specific if you're even able to do what you want to do without getting attorneys involved. In Texas, a real estate agent cannot do rent to own or lease to own. Only attorneys can, as a lease is not to be mentioned in a purchase contract and a purchase contract is not to be referenced in a lease.

Get with an attorney and see how it would work. How much rent would apply to price of home, if any. It's best to just keep them completely separate. Do a lease for the term of the lease, and then do a purchase contract for the purchase.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:35 AM

I am in Michigan, and I am pretty sure it's ok to do in my state, but I'm not 100% on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate