Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdesta View Post
I have a sec. 8 tenant living in my guest house. She is rude, she refuses to take out trash, close gates and park in her parking space. She has figured out a way to live rent free. She constantly complains to the Housing Authority and they came out to inspect the house, requested that the doors be shaved so that they close properly. When a 24 houe notice was put on her door she refuses to let the repairman in. I had to call the LAPD to get in the house. Each time they come out she points out new things to be done. Now the Housing Authority refuses to pay the rent and she continues to live in the house with out paying rent. What can I do.
If she's been kicked off section 8 and isn't paying the rent herself either, that's easy. Evictions for non-payment are usually the fastest and easiest kind of evictions. Get a rental attorney to file the paperwork today, and get her out of there. You'll probably have to spend some money to get her out, but then you'll be done with her. Nothing else you can do about it. Section 8 has washed their hands of her if they've terminated payments.

A question though, section 8 tenants have assigned reps. Did you speak with her rep at any point during this process? Any violation notice you send to a section 8 tenant is supposed to be CC'd to their rep, who then sends their own notice to the tenant saying their assistance will be terminated if they violate the lease (or something similar to that). At that point, the tenant usually stops the unwanted behavior. Did you follow those steps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
The same could be said for any indebted homeowner who got an easy loan (low/no down payments, etc...); it crowds out decency because there’s no skin in the game.

Advice: Before you buy a home, make sure the indebted middle-class Section8 won’t be moving into the neighborhood.

Strange, I never noticed any messy neighborhoods where homeowners got easy loans.

apples to oranges...............again !

Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Definitely no such thing as an easy home loan. The only "no down payment" home loans I know of are VA loans, and those are what I personally would call desirable neighbors. Even FHA loans that carry a small down payment carry the stiff penalty of PMI and are not that affordable.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930boop View Post
Ok I want to start off that I don't think all section 8 renters are bad by any means. When I bought my home in 2001 everyone on the block was a homeowner. Now as time has passed and the homeowners are leaving and accepting the renters vouchers we have had problems in the neighborhood, from fights in the middle of the street, to house windows being broken, the yards look like s**t, most of them are rude, and yet still drive nicer cars then most. Over the weekend there was a shooting 5 houses down from mine. I'm to the point either I move or they do. I would like to find out how our block can get rid of these people. Do I contact the homeowner? The HOA can't do anything about it. There are a lot of kids on our block and this kind of stuff can not be happening. I'm so sick of it. Can I call the housing authority and turn them in for to many people living there? I really do need some help on where to go with this.

FED UP!!
You are not the only one. My development is decent but I am the lucky one to be living next them. My issue is their loud music and unsupervised kids. I've decided to sell and move on. I do not understand the Section 8 program. It sucks that decent hard working people have to live with them because of guaranteed rent.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 AM

303 posts, read 595,587 times
I really think the issue is more with irresponsible renters than it is with renters that use Section 8. In my area the vast majority of S8 recipients are elderly (70+) or disabled living on fixed income.

My family owns several properties, half of whom are section 8, and we have little to no problems out of them. They pay on time, take care of their homes as best they can (one older lady even 'hires' her grandchildren to come mow the lawn and clean the house!).

Some people are just slobs. The best way to ensure riff-raff doesn't end up in a home (section 8 or not) is to screen them THOROUGHLY. Don't just do a cursory check, actually look into them and see if they've had issues in the past. If after they move in, you find problems, come down on them swift and hard. It's not that difficult to do.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMillersWife View Post
I really think the issue is more with irresponsible renters than it is with renters that use Section 8. In my area the vast majority of S8 recipients are elderly (70+) or disabled living on fixed income.

My family owns several properties, half of whom are section 8, and we have little to no problems out of them. They pay on time, take care of their homes as best they can (one older lady even 'hires' her grandchildren to come mow the lawn and clean the house!).

Some people are just slobs. The best way to ensure riff-raff doesn't end up in a home (section 8 or not) is to screen them THOROUGHLY. Don't just do a cursory check, actually look into them and see if they've had issues in the past. If after they move in, you find problems, come down on them swift and hard. It's not that difficult to do.
I disagree. I wish the program limited them to renting in Section 8 communities. The program would end if they paid high enough for them to live in the law makers neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I disagree. I wish the program limited them to renting in Section 8 communities.
And that would be there very definition of housing discrimination and would be against the Fair Housing Act, which is a Federal law.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM

303 posts, read 595,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I disagree. I wish the program limited them to renting in Section 8 communities. The program would end if they paid high enough for them to live in the law makers neighborhoods.
So are you saying that Section 8 ONLY attracts a specific kind of person? One that is a degenerate and prone to destruction of property?

I can name homeowners that fit that same criteria. They're part of the reason why HoAs were created in the first place. Should we lump them into the same neighborhoods as the Section 8ers?

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
And that would be there very definition of housing discrimination and would be against the Fair Housing Act, which is a Federal law.
I am comfortable with that type of discrimination.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,444 times
Default TAG: no-skin-in-the-game; we're all dead in the end mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170
Definitely no such thing as an easy home loan.
In TODAY's world, buying a home is becoming little different than leasing a car—no intentions of paying off the home/car, just revolving payments to forever land!

~~ ~~ ~~
From what I understand, local politicians/community organizers search-out opportunities to get Section8 into 'certain' neighborhoods. Hmm, now why would they do that? Maybe it's because Section8 stabilizes home prices in 'certain' neighborhoods, & increases home prices/values in surrounding neighborhoods? IOW, maybe homeowners' are getting residual benefits when Section8 comes to town?

Last edited by DSOs; 05-23-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: added bold text & a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate