Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times

Advertisements

Hi -- how much do you typically spend up front on marketing costs when marketing someone's home?

Assume color flyers, virtual tour, mls/realtor.com listing.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
All over the map. Upfront costs are high for all homes regardless of price. The more expensive homes might justify a more elaborate brochure or upgraded on-line presence. Sometimes you kick yourself when a home sells very quickly and you have a box full of unused flyers. Other times even the nice places just do not find the right buyer for an eternity. The replenishing of supplies and renewing of online listing can really add up, easily eating more than half of the agent's portion of the commission even for costly homes. This is all "out of pocket" and if you do not have a large number of listings whose closings can help with cash flow it makes for some TIGHT finances...

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Depends on the value of the home. $650K is the average sale price in my area. At that price, I am likely to invest at least $1000 and do so locally, to support local businesses.

I pay for the pre-listing home inspection (at closing), professional photography, interactive floor plan tour, enhanced realtor.com thing, maybe staging, maybe a home warranty....depends on the specific home....mailings, putting on the broker tour feedbag, brochures that pass the thud test.

If the property is located in an area conducive to Open Houses, I invite all the neighbors ( the best sales force,ever) and pop for a few gallons of ice cream or whatever to compel people to stay and chat with their neighbors,
walk -ins and so on.

Higher end properties require substantially more.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I spend $750-$1,200 (on average) for a house depending on the house. I don't do any print media...

I pay for a prelisting home inspection on all my listings, video tours (my new thing), enhanced R.com listing, accent staging, color flyers, custom domain name, etc...

I third the "it depends on the home."

I am fee-for-service so my fees goes up or down with the costs associated with marketing the property.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

I am fee-for-service so my fees goes up or down with the costs associated with marketing the property.
As you know I am not a "fee for service" although I have a sincere respect for the model. I get paid only if the sale closes.

Because of my out of pocket investment at the average price point, in my area, I cannot afford to play the pricing game or work with unmotivated sellers. I strive to do more so the seller gets more.....translation: in this market that means the property sells sooner, rather than at a reduced price, later on.

All the out of pocket expenditure and marketing cannot overcome a bad price, in any market.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times
Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As you know I am not a "fee for service" although I have a sincere respect for the model. I get paid only if the sale closes.

Because of my out of pocket investment at the average price point, in my area, I cannot afford to play the pricing game or work with unmotivated sellers. I strive to do more so the seller gets more.....translation: in this market that means the property sells sooner, rather than at a reduced price, later on.

All the out of pocket expenditure and marketing cannot overcome a bad price, in any market.
I agree. I get paid regardless and I don't play the pricing game. My clients still need to feel that they got good service at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate