Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:15 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:18 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
I would go over to the neighbor and ask them if they are kicked off the grid frequently. Exercising the generator twice a week seems like overkill, once a week is sufficient. BUT, if you do go through with the purchase, AND if the neighborhood does get shut off frequently, then these people will be your best friends.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
You should hear my hear my hedge trimmer and weed wacker - between the 2 it takes nearly a solid day each month to groom the place - add the lawn mower to it you would be driven crazy as my neighbor as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
If it is giving you pause now then it may happen with a potential future buyer when YOU are trying to sell. Purchasing a home is a very big decision and is made on "emotions" too often. You have to keep in mind that is has to make good "business" sense first.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If this is a "backup generator" you really need to find out why they are running this think twice a week and at what times. If it is the same time that storm sirens are tested for just a few minutes it is one thing, but if it is going to disturb sleep / entertaining ...

If this is becuase of frequent problems with the grid you need to get the scoop on that too.

I shudder to think what other reasons this thing is running for...

Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,824 times
The generator is a $10,000 permanent, natural gas-powered generator. It supplies 32,000 KW of power. Supposedly the decibel level is 75 decibels but it sounds much much louder to me.

It is there, according to the listing agent, simply to supply power to their house in the event the power goes out. I guess these people can't BEAR the thought of being without power for more than 5 minutes. The generator has to "charge" twice a week for one hour at a time (the neighbors claim). I really don't know why this thing has to run at all UNLESS there is an F5 tornado blowing through; it's beyond me why this is allowed or legal. Also, there may be setback or permit issues here as well. I am gonna investigate. I also am concerned whether this thing emits toxic fumes when it's "charging".

I don't know whether I am overreacting, or correct in saying it's a dealbreaker. The house is great, but it's actually priced very high and needs loads of work. It is in a sublime neighborhood, however.

My final question is: Does the listing agent have to disclose this generator issue to buyers who see the house but are there when the generator is silent?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemagdeleneorbust View Post
The generator is a $10,000 permanent, natural gas-powered generator. It supplies 32,000 KW of power. Supposedly the decibel level is 75 decibels but it sounds much much louder to me.

It is there, according to the listing agent, simply to supply power to their house in the event the power goes out. I guess these people can't BEAR the thought of being without power for more than 5 minutes. The generator has to "charge" twice a week for one hour at a time (the neighbors claim). I really don't know why this thing has to run at all UNLESS there is an F5 tornado blowing through; it's beyond me why this is allowed or legal. Also, there may be setback or permit issues here as well. I am gonna investigate. I also am concerned whether this thing emits toxic fumes when it's "charging".

I don't know whether I am overreacting, or correct in saying it's a dealbreaker. The house is great, but it's actually priced very high and needs loads of work. It is in a sublime neighborhood, however.

My final question is: Does the listing agent have to disclose this generator issue to buyers who see the house but are there when the generator is silent?
I wouldn't. I'm curious to know how you find out about this. Just by luck it could have been on during the showing, or did you see it and ask them to turn it on to see how loud it was. To anyone who knows, does something like this have to be disclosed? I assume no as its not a defect.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
A few of my neighbors have back-up generators. There is nothing to the claim they have to run twice a week for an hour. In fact the units most popular near me are SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to be spun up for only FIVE MINUTES in 'test" mode, just long enough to drive moisture out of the oil, but run longer might cause of problem with running w/o a load.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,824 times
Yes the generator was on during my showing. I heard it going as soon as I stepped out of the car. When the noise did not stop I looked to see what it was, and that's when the agent said "oh, yeah, that's the generator next door. sure is loud, huh?" He later explained that it runs twice a week etc.

Yes, I'd love to know from Realtors whether this has to be disclosed to potential buyers (who may or may not be showed the property when it's running).

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
No, I would not buy that house if the generator continues to be noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate