Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
The only reason someone would purchase an older home vs a new one is if the older one is in a better location/school district. Is this the case with you?
I hesitate to consider a new house because of the chinese dry wall disaster. That's serious ju ju.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:43 PM

19 posts, read 58,740 times
Quote:
A lot of times the largest home on the street doesn't sell and if it does, it sells for less.

Is your home priced higher than the new builds? If so, why would someone pay more for your used home when they can get a brand new one for less and tailor it exactly how they want it and w/ the colors/options they like?

The only reason someone would purchase an older home vs a new one is if the older one is in a better location/school district. Is this the case with you?
Hello, no our house is not priced any higher than the new builds. It is a little lower than the houses that are around 2000 square feet smaller. We are not the only people in this position. There are about 50 homes in our price range this past year - two sold.
We are with a relocation company so our home is priced very low (50K LOWER than what the realtors said it should be on the market for.) We are not looking for a profit, we just want to move out of this house because our son died the week we moved in = bad memories. We even had a realtor team come in and say it was worth 100K more than what we know it is worth. Obviously they were trying to get us to list thinking if they told us is was worth more we go with them.
The fact of the matter is, in Pittsburgh, the market for higher priced housing just is not there.
Our location is fantastic and the school distict is one of the best. Even if we sold it for what we bought it for, we have invested over 50K in upgrades and landscaping, something the newer homes do not offer. Then again, they are not selling either! We are not the only ones in this position, it appears that no one is getting any traffic. The new ones are not selling like hot cakes either FWIW.
I am not looking for answers, just venting.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
I am so sorry for the circumstances that are compelling you to move. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for you.

You mentioned that you are with a relocation company. May we assume you or your husband is being transferred?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am so sorry for the circumstances that are compelling you to move. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for you.

You mentioned that you are with a relocation company. May we assume you or your husband is being transferred?
No, my husband is not being transferred. His company realizes the nightmare we are living and has graciously offered to help us. We bought the house a few years ago, but this year is the first year we have all actually lived in it together. It's a long story.

Again, we aren't looking for a profit, willing to take the loss of the upgrades we did, just would like to be out of here. Too many houses, too few buyers.
*sigh*

Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,433 times
Quote:
Is your home priced higher than the new builds? If so, why would someone pay more for your used home when they can get a brand new one for less and tailor it exactly how they want it and w/ the colors/options they like?

This hits home in my neighborhood. The builders are still here. And no way are they about to let an existing homeowner beat them out of a sale if they can help it. I feel for the neighbors who are trying to sell; the builders have lowered their asking price, and everyone wants a brand new house.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
This hits home in my neighborhood. The builders are still here. And no way are they about to let an existing homeowner beat them out of a sale if they can help it. I feel for the neighbors who are trying to sell; the builders have lowered their asking price, and everyone wants a brand new house.
There is one thing that is great about the new builds, none of them have finished basements. Many basements around here are quite beautiful. Our own basement is over 2000 square feet, has a full wall of floor to ceiling windows, has a large bedroom, a full bath, a full kitchen, a movie room, gas fireplace, a game room, a card room, a putting green, storage and and a laundry room (there is also a laundry room upstairs.) Not too shabby. BUT - if the buyers are not there, they are not there.
If any realtor is local (Pittsburgh/Peter's Township) area and has any info they would like to share, I'd sure appreciate it.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCampbell View Post
There is one thing that is great about the new builds, none of them have finished basements. Many basements around here are quite beautiful. Our own basement is over 2000 square feet, has a full wall of floor to ceiling windows, has a large bedroom, a full bath, a full kitchen, a movie room, gas fireplace, a game room, a card room, a putting green, storage and and a laundry room (there is also a laundry room upstairs.) Not too shabby. BUT - if the buyers are not there, they are not there.
If any realtor is local (Pittsburgh/Peter's Township) area and has any info they would like to share, I'd sure appreciate it.
Now THAT's what I call a nice basement! It is true that a new house can be a clean slate to work with.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate