Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,107 times

Advertisements

Just saw this on our local Craigslist. X'd a couple of details for discretion's sake:

"Hi, I need someone to take photos of a home in X. This is for a driveby appraisal I am charging the bank a very low fee for. I only need three to four photos of the exterior of this home. I would need these photos by this Sunday afternoon, September 13th. I can pay $15 for this job through Palpal or a check. Please let me know."

I'd have thought the appraiser should drive by. Not necessary??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
I had a Houston appraiser call a few weeks ago asking if I would let him in a house here in DFW since he did not have a local Supra key. I could not believe an out of town appraiser was here doing work.

This may be the case and the appraiser is not even where he can do a drive by. He's probably on Google Earth looking around the neighborhood.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,805 times
No, this is not typical. At least I should hope not.

In the Scope of work in the Certification section of the 2055 ("drive by appraisal"), which is the part that the appraising signs, the appraiser certifies that he/she, at a minimum perform a visual inspection of the Subject from the street, inspect the neighborhood and inspect the comparables from at least the street.

So .... unless the appraiser has done all this already and lost the photographs (which can happen), he/she is playing with fire and should be reported to the Board.

Which state is this in?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I had a Houston appraiser call a few weeks ago asking if I would let him in a house here in DFW since he did not have a local Supra key. I could not believe an out of town appraiser was here doing work.

This may be the case and the appraiser is not even where he can do a drive by. He's probably on Google Earth looking around the neighborhood.
As I have mentioned before, my partner and I cover both the Tulsa MSA and the OKC MSA, everthing in between and down to the Texas border.

Coming from a distance does not necessarily mean this appraiser is not geographically competent.

Incidentally, we gave up our Supra keys. They are way too expensive for the rare times we needed them.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Yessiree the young Cuomo boy has done gotta all the bad appraisal practices completely outa the way...

Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Yessiree the young Cuomo boy has done gotta all the bad appraisal practices completely outa the way...
Yep .... that HVCC is working well, isn't it?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
No, this is not typical. At least I should hope not.

In the Scope of work in the Certification section of the 2055 ("drive by appraisal"), which is the part that the appraising signs, the appraiser certifies that he/she, at a minimum perform a visual inspection of the Subject from the street, inspect the neighborhood and inspect the comparables from at least the street.

So .... unless the appraiser has done all this already and lost the photographs (which can happen), he/she is playing with fire and should be reported to the Board.

Which state is this in?
This is in Illinois. He also posted his name, number, etc.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
This is in Illinois. He also posted his name, number, etc.
Sounds like a scam of some sort, to me.

For all we know, someone who was not happy with his appraisal could have posted this on CL.

*67 the number and give him/her a call.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,018 times
This is very typical in West Central Florida. With all the short sales and foreclosures, RE Brokers and appraisers are paying others for pics. The going average is $15 per house or $5 per picture.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:24 PM

That is appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate