Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 9,065 times

Advertisements

There is a home that my husband and I are interested in purchasing. It came up for Sheriff Sale last year and I was the one who contacted the Attorney to let him know that the woman had died and left the property to her son and then he died. the attorney was so grateful because we saved him a lot of time. He filed the appropriate papers and now this year it is again up for Sheriff Sale however, the attorney WILL NOT return our calls. Our attorney even called him 5 times to see if we could make an offer to the bank that is holding it. The house is condemned and has been vacant for about 4 years but it is in a great location. I need to know how to search to see if there are any other liens on it besides the back taxes. And just so you know I cannot count on our Recorder of Deeds office because once you enter that building you become invisible. No one wants to help you. I would think with the way our economy is that banks would want to get the property off their hands. Thanking anyone who can help!
Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,242,078 times
CA law allows the county to block the owners name online, but not if you go to the assessors office. Call a local real estate office and I'll bet someone would be able to look up the information quickly for you. I can also look up any CA address for you through a website provided to me by a title company.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 26,247 times
house in my neighborhood is bank owned. I want to know what is owed on the house, not what the bank is asking for the property. Can I do this online for free?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM

crazyjudy, if you know the address of the property i might be able to help you out with who to contact

Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM

i am a real estate agent, I know who owns the house and i have the tax record, but i can't find what they actually owe, not what the asking price is from the bank. I know they mark this up to make a profit.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,242,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie914 View Post
i am a real estate agent, I know who owns the house and i have the tax record, but i can't find what they actually owe, not what the asking price is from the bank. I know they mark this up to make a profit.
Oh yeah! Banks are profiting substantially from foreclosed homes. Many jurisdictions assess a tax based on a sales price.

Here in my county it's quite easy to make a well reasoned guess at the amount owing by looking at the original amount of the note and using an amortization table to determine how much is owing.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,832 times
Our Realtor told us that banks are actually in no hurry to sell their REOs, especially not at a bargain price. They prefer to let the occupants continue living there and prolong the foreclosure process because the market is still down in most areas. They are basically letting the foreclosed on former owners continue to squat because they are maintaining the property to a livable standard, therefore the bank doesn't have to. It saves them money while they hold the property then they can evict and sell when the prices go up. If this does not ring true, by all means let me know. There are some REOs in my city that are not sold and not on the market, The bank still owns them. I would love to try to get a great deal on one.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM

355 posts, read 1,475,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianneMD View Post
Our Realtor told us that banks are actually in no hurry to sell their REOs, especially not at a bargain price. They prefer to let the occupants continue living there and prolong the foreclosure process because the market is still down in most areas. They are basically letting the foreclosed on former owners continue to squat because they are maintaining the property to a livable standard, therefore the bank doesn't have to. It saves them money while they hold the property then they can evict and sell when the prices go up. If this does not ring true, by all means let me know. There are some REOs in my city that are not sold and not on the market, The bank still owns them. I would love to try to get a great deal on one.
You are absolutely correct. And moreso than simply so the "squatters" keep the house up to livable standards - it also keeps the "owners" on the hook for the property taxes (or at least, prevents the bank from having to pay it as they would if they foreclosed) as well as any homeowners fees/dues etc. All part of the plan - there are countless homes where the previous owners have been squatting for a year or more, without being foreclosed/evicted.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,489 times
Hi, I am currently looking to rent a property we found on craigslist. The family has been corresponding frequently and I want to make sure we are not making a mistake and the property is legitimate. He is out of the country and said he owns the house and has lived there for 6 years. I was just wondering how to find out if he is telling the truth or not. IE: Title of the Property in his name?
Thanks!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,118 times
Default Trying to locate the owner of a property here in OV

I am currently trying to locate the owner of a property in Ocean View. The address is 9326 First View Street. I, along with other neighbors, am having a serious problem with the guy who rents this property as he is currently abusing his animals and tonite he threatened to have his pit bull attack me if the dog is out on the loose, as he does not leash this animal when it is outside. I need to contact the owner and let him know that this guy is a serious threat to this neighborhood with his dog and to probably have him evicted and have his dogs removed from that property due to the threats and the abuse. How can I find out this information without having to pay an arm and a leg ???? Does anyone know???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate