Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM

6,430 posts, read 9,767,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollhouse View Post
The agent was dishonest, unethical and deceitful. I care not to see her again, because as a new home buyer, she ruined my experience.

I made the mistake of not having a buyer's agent because I was uninformed and too trusting. Mistake on my part.
She did things that were so "wrong" that the building company stepped in.

That's why.

I want to try and be happy on my closing day, as I move past the negative memories associated with my new home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What the heck did this sales rep/agent do to incur this sort of rath?
I was referring to the OP's post. IF you want details why ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM

17,204 posts, read 14,482,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
So a RE attorney can't attend in place of the agent in Indiana? Just curious as I don't practice in Indiana and even old dogs can learn tricks which is why I'm asking. If that is the case in the OPs state in question, then I would think the BIC could attend on behalf of the brokerage and the agent herself wouldn't need to be there - just someone representing the brokerage.
In Indiana, someone representing the brokerage must attend closing.

I've had other agents (not my broker) cover my closings if I'm on vacation or have to be in 3,243,048 other places at the same time.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
It seems like the same concept as in Texas. We don't use attorneys. We use title companies here. Buyers and sellers don't close at the same time. Sometimes it's even on different days.

The escrow officer of the title company explains all the documents to the buyer and seller. Title companies are owned by attorneys BTW and buyers actually sign a waiver that the attorneys of that title company didn't represent them. They simply check the paperwork for fraud and order the title search since they issue the title policy.

A lot of agents in our area don't go to closings.
Same in WA and Colo. I've only done about 25 closing transactions, but had an agent there once, it was very uncomfortable, so never again.

Why would anyone want an agent at closing?

I request paperwork the day before and go over it with a lawyer if necessary and complex (usually for multi-tenant commercial, or multi-parcel projects), but for a simple residence I can't think of any value to having an RE agent at closing. The title company knows their stuff and has done all the paperwork anyway. I just schedule the closing to best meet the needs of all, and have only signed at the same time as other side one time as well. Often we are within a couple hours of other side, and quite often done via a remote process (out of state / country transactions). We did one US transaction while living in Europe and one while in Asia. It is not big deal, but can be very uncomfortable with unnecessary folks in the room. The only time I was really torn in a closing was a 'sinking' feeling I had about one buyer, BUT it was my only 'Bi-Level' and we had FINALLY had a buyer!!! My hunch was correct... there was a 'domestic' issue between the couple and one of them really got the shaft, so now I am more careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate