Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM

451 posts, read 975,791 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to your forum and I need some good advice. I posted this to the general moving forum and received a post tonight suggesting your forum. Okay, here goes. We are about 1-2 months away from putting our home on the market and making a move north. I don't know how else to put this but to be honest. We've talked to a realtor who we met from an information session last spring. Our plan is to have 4-5 come through about a week before we're ready to sign, get their ideas and then take the lowest "selling price" and use that to list. Our hope is that will speed up the process - we want out yesterday.

We live in a place that is so dirty I just can't tell you. We're from the midwest originally and in 22 years, and three separate homes there (as our family grew), we never had to deal with ordinance/code violators. I am used to everyone, before moving here, taking pride in their homes and surroundings. As for here, we finally saw the front lawn couches, bedframes and hanging garage doors removed and replaced (I have no idea how; this was for 3 separate houses). Now we have more violations - it is like a darned parking lot in our street and now a semi has joined the fray (another code violation). As I mentioned, we talked to the relator and she said it should not affect our listing price; we just may have people like the home, not like the neighborhood and thus no sale. Obviously, that is huge.

I have read less than kind postings (that is putting it nicely) in my city; so I don't want to do that. The new area we are looking at - frankly the people are great, friendly and helpful (they've pretty much put our minds at ease that their state is not like this), but this is more of a general moving issue - so I am trying to get ideas here.

I am wondering if anyone (any other town, AZ does not have a monopoly on this behavior I am quite sure) has encountered this and if they have any ideas on what to do. Our house looks great, has been very well maintained and like about 5 others really stands out. I can tell you that I have learned to never live anywhere without the protection of an HOA (or ten acres ). However, that is the learning lesson and not really the question. I am sorry this is so long (and I've only hit the high points - yup, there is more), but any advice or help or experiences that worked out in spite of something like this - I would love to hear. Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,554,308 times
Well, I wouldn't paint all of AZ as having a similar problem. I'm sure there are very nice neighborhoods in Tucson and other AZ cities (I live in Tempe where you can find well maintained and not so well maintained). I'm very happy with my neighborhood and surrounding area. I'm sure many cities throughout the US are similar.

I don't understand why the Realtor you spoke to said your neighborhood condition would not affect your price. Of course it does. Your price will have to be set such as to overcome that issue. You need to have an agent check recent comparable sales in your area to see where you may need to price yours. Having a few agents give you their opinions is a good strategy. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,448,832 times
Unfortunately it will absolutely affect your asking price. I am in a similar situation, not nearly as bad, but our neighborhood in a very nice, residential, high end town, had two vacant houses on our street in various stages of disrepair. There were several people who said they loved our house, but not the neighborhood. There was nothing we could do, but we found that in the spring/summer and fall, we got less of those comments, because the leaves and flowers are out and distract from the not so great houses.

As my realtor always says, it's always about price. You have to price it at a price where the potential buyer can overlook the negatives. In your case, it is going to be your neighborhood and it will absolutely affect your price and/or time on the market.

Sorry to be blunt, but think you have to be realistic about it.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Good to have both of your thoughts on the matter. Rjrcm, glad you are in a good area - that is wonderful for you. However, I disagree as I did not "paint all of Arizona" as this way. I simply stated that Arizona does not have a monopoly on this problem. Of course there are good and bad areas everywhere. I just really wanted to hear from people who may have had problems like this. You, as a realtor, may have assisted clients in areas that were not so well maintained. If so, what advice did you give them? Glad to know, as I am not a realtor, that you feel getting a number of opinions is a good idea.

Arielmina - I thought the same thing. I think that is why I just know having other realtors give their opinions is a good thought. I don't think you are blunt, I do think it will affect price and time on the market. This is a new experience for us, so that is why I wrote. The other three homes were in another state and all three were in wonderful neighborhoods for all three of their price ranges.

If there is anyone who has dealt with this (in any city and in any state) I'd love to hear from you. Also, if there are any additional realtors who have assisted clients in this market with a very good house in a difficult neighborhood - I would love to hear from you as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTucson View Post

As I mentioned, we talked to the relator and she said it should not affect our listing price; we just may have people like the home, not like the neighborhood and thus no sale. Obviously, that is huge.
Sounds like double talk to me.

Either this agent is seriously mistaken or perhaps you misunderstood. Location is the number one factor in real estate. The only thing that can overcome a less desirable location is price and that's the one thing you control.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM

11,822 posts, read 34,355,412 times
Have you tried talking to the county/city code enforcement section?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,554,308 times
Sorry I misinterpreted your view of AZ. As 2bindenver suggests, your best option (and most difficult) is to get your neighborhood to change. Make sure the city is aware of the issues and push them to do something about it. Perhaps organize other neighbors to work together on this problem. This will take time you may not have. Otherwise, all you can do is be sure your home is in top shape and priced to attract buyers despite the neighborhood issues.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Middle-aged Mom - I agree as I think that would be a mistake as well (just remembering the old saying...location, location, location), and yes, price is the only thing we can control (unless the offenders clean things up). I don't know if she was trying to not discourage us or what (only she knows). I had a brief conversation with her myself and that is what she stated. I am trying hard to just listen to these people and note whatever their replies are. I'll know the right realtor when he or she comes along.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM

2bindenver and rjrcm - both great ideas. Yes, a few of us have. Rjrcm, you are correct - it is taking a lot of time. Sadly many cities have decreased budgets they are working with as well. The few other neighbors with well-maintained homes are feeling the same way. I think we'll be the first home to list. I think we might have two following us out. Additionally, we are also starting to see our first problem with absentee landlord issues (same city; not here often). It is right on the money to state that changing people who have whatever thoughts they have on the matter is the absolute most difficult thing to do.

So.....anyone out there successfully do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate