Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,812 times

Advertisements

To the OP, I think it depends on a couple factors.

1) How stable is your local market and the neighborhoods you are looking to buy? Are the prices still falling or in a freefall?
2) Do you have a downpayment?

I think buyers today should put a 10-20% downpayment or have that amount in cash reserves in case they need to sell. Especially in your case because there's even a higher chance you have to move/sell in less than 5 years.

The chance that the market will shoot up again is low and it's more likely that prices will continue to fall. You don't want to do 100% financing and then be underwater on your mortgage if god forbid you need to sell in 2 years. Then you'll have to do a short sale or go into foreclosure because you can't afford commissions and closing costs. Even if your home doesn't decline in value, remember it costs 6% to sell your home + closing costs.

If you got the money, then consider buying as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
That is the same story I heard for years and years. "Stay on base, don't risk it, It is safer on base". Being a Security Policeman (Law Enforcement) for 24 years, I know that living on-base does not make you immune from societies ills. I listened to that advice and was scared to buy a house until I had been in 18 years. Now I wish I had "risked it". I'd be reaping he rewards.

The OP has lived on baset and now wants to explore the possibility of buying. That is his choice and that choice can make sense in many parts of the country with record low interest rates and the $8,000 tax credit.

There are many many places country it would NOT make sense to buy now. Their markets are still in turmoil and will be for a few more years.

After reading your old posts you don't seem very enthusiastic about homeownership today.
Yes, the OP has choices and I'm just providing him information with no agenda whatsoever - if you want to refute anything I post, have at it but just ensure you back it up with facts like I do.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I can't believe you've been in the military this long and are asking that question. How many times have you moved already? Do you imagine that the military is going to leave you in one spot for the rest of your career? When you get to the last year or two from retirement start considering buying. Renting is the only practical way for a nomadic military family. IMHO (traveling for 45 years and still on the move...). BTW, I owned a house and was an absentee landlord for 23 years. I don't wish that experience on anybody.
Doesn't get any simplier than that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate