Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

13 posts, read 61,743 times

Advertisements

Is an outside laundry room a dealbreaker for you? The home we are looking at has the laundry room in the back of the house, next to the garage. It's like a storage shed (wood frame structure w/ roof, door). You have to go outside under a canopy to get to it, but you are still outside.

My hubby says this is a dealbreaker if we want to sell later, not to mention: who wants bugs flying into the laundry basket as you walk to and fro???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,437 times
Where is this located? I have never heard of this type of setup before..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,443 times
my grandma's old house is like this. I personally find it annoying.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
We have a triplex rental that is like that. No idea what the reasoning was for building it that way. For me, it would be a dealbreaker.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Most of the places I've lived freezing pipes would have been an issue with that kind of set up but if I were in a warmer climate and I loved the house, I'd deal with it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM

286 posts, read 1,366,979 times
Probably built that way AFTER the house was built? One of the previous owners possibly added it and did a half-a@@ job, maybe???

Either way, I wouldn't say deal breaker. You can certainly improve upon the situation with a little creativity, insulation, coat of paint or two. As for bugs?? What do you think people deal with when they take their laundry to a laundry mat? Or a dry cleaner? Don't worry about the 'bugs flying...' It sounds like there is another issue and someone is just using this as an excuse.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I once rented a place with the laundry room in the back of the carport. Yes, you were covered the whole time. I hated it.

If you are trying to do laundry at night the light draws bugs. If you are trying to get dressed in the morning & you need something hanging to dry out in the laundry room you are either SOL or you have to hope the neighbors don't care if you are running around outside in your bathrobe. If it is A/C weather it is a PIA to get in & out of the house with the basket, especially if you waited a day too long & now the basket is over full.

I would never buy a house with an outdoor laundry room.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
I had this setup on an older house I lived in and my wife has since told me she preferred it as it got the dirty laundry out of the house and she could do it at her leisure without worrying about having to hide it from guests that might drop in unexpectedly.

Our current setup has the laundry in an alcove in the kitchen and I am not a fan of that due to the grease that floats in the air. Hasn't been a noticeable problem with cleaning clothes, but it bothers me because I know the potential is there. I would have preferred a hallway laundry room closer to the bedrooms, but gave in when she brought up the noise argument against that location. We don't have an attached garage to put it in.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I had this setup on an older house I lived in and my wife has since told me she preferred it as it got the dirty laundry out of the house and she could do it at her leisure without worrying about having to hide it from guests that might drop in unexpectedly.

Our current setup has the laundry in an alcove in the kitchen and I am not a fan of that due to the grease that floats in the air. Hasn't been a noticeable problem with cleaning clothes, but it bothers me because I know the potential is there. I would have preferred a hallway laundry room closer to the bedrooms, but gave in when she brought up the noise argument against that location. We don't have an attached garage to put it in.
I would not want a laundry room in or too near the kitchen, I've got enough going on in there.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,437 times
Our laundry room is in a weird location in our new house, it is through the kitchen by the garage entry. We have plans of moving it to the downstairs right below it (utility room area) in the future, but they didn't build noah's ark in one day either so the washer/dryer still sits in its original place. One good thing about it is that laundry gets done where its at and doesn't pile up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate