Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 37,893 times

Advertisements

The radon level should start dropping shortly after the mitigation system is installed. Some mitigators like to wait a week or so after install to re-test. In my experience, if the mitigators test a few days after install, the levels have dropped below 4.0 pico curies/liter. It's long-term exposure to radon that is the issue. I wouldn't worry about a couple of days.

Congrats on the new place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
[quote=almost3am;11094094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post

I got his name off of the state website list of certified installers. He was an active member in that association, NHRP or whatever it is called, and I found his name there too as certified. I did this about 4 years ago, so some of the details are fuzzy, but I spent a bunch of time figuring out how to pick someone and I talked with three different guys. He was the most knowledgeable and most experienced. Sorry if you don't like his price, but I just paid it, I didn't set the price.
I found the price to be unrealisticly low to allow for all that needs to be done.......legally......if he didn't get the required permits or hire a licensed electrician as required by law and used an inferior mitigation fan then he might be able to cut costs down to $800....but then your left with an inferior, illegal system. While it may have been 4 years ago I think I would have remembered if a licensed electrician was used and if permits were obtained as I would have seen the electrician and also remember calling the township code officials to arrange for them to inspect the work. Price generally reflects the qualifty of work received.......20 years experience tells me $800 doesn't offer much in the way of quality. You probably got exactly what you paid for.....cheap and illegal.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
[quote=FlyersFan;11097395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post

I found the price to be unrealisticly low to allow for all that needs to be done.......legally......if he didn't get the required permits or hire a licensed electrician as required by law and used an inferior mitigation fan then he might be able to cut costs down to $800....but then your left with an inferior, illegal system. While it may have been 4 years ago I think I would have remembered if a licensed electrician was used and if permits were obtained as I would have seen the electrician and also remember calling the township code officials to arrange for them to inspect the work. Price generally reflects the qualifty of work received.......20 years experience tells me $800 doesn't offer much in the way of quality. You probably got exactly what you paid for.....cheap and illegal.
You know, I was thinking back on this last night. I remember calling three companies that did radon mitigation (all three certified and on the lists I mentioned) and the prices were generally the same between the three of them. Not that it matters, but the guy I chose was actually not the cheapest. I don't know, maybe all radon mitigators in WI are cheap and illegal or maybe rules/regulations are different in WI. I am no expert and actually, at this point, don't really care since I don't live there anymore.

Speaking of the fan, I remember having a discussion about the fan, and him telling me why he used the specific fan he does.

So, I went back to the WI site where I first found his name: Mitigation Proficiency List

...and I also found the following at the top: "There are no state regulations specifically for radon mitigation businesses in Wisconsin."

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
[quote=almost3am;11097844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post

You know, I was thinking back on this last night. I remember calling three companies that did radon mitigation (all three certified and on the lists I mentioned) and the prices were generally the same between the three of them. Not that it matters, but the guy I chose was actually not the cheapest. I don't know, maybe all radon mitigators in WI are cheap and illegal or maybe rules/regulations are different in WI. I am no expert and actually, at this point, don't really care since I don't live there anymore.

Speaking of the fan, I remember having a discussion about the fan, and him telling me why he used the specific fan he does.

So, I went back to the WI site where I first found his name: Mitigation Proficiency List

...and I also found the following at the top: "There are no state regulations specifically for radon mitigation businesses in Wisconsin."
If you took the time to read the information you sent me you would see that Wisconsin, like every other state, refers you to the EPA standards and protocol regarding system installation....in specific it mentions the "Consumers Guide to Radon Reduction".....it also warns you to be sure your contractor gets ALL required township permits.....the bottom line is that there are regulations for radon reduction in Wisconsin.....EPA regulations that are adopted by each state and should be followed by the states certified mitigators....like I said earlier....if there were no permits obtained or you didn't see a separate licensed electrician for the electrical portion of the work or you don't remember the township inspector coming out to inspect the work then its more than likely you have an illegally installed system......should something go wrong leading to any type of homeowners insurance claim your claim will be turned down because the work was done illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate