Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times

Advertisements

--"Exactly who is ignorant"?----

certainly the realtor in this case is !

Surprised KarenRice blindly supports a realtor who gets dates on a contract wrong.

(IMHO) Here is a case where the realtor should lose their commission
$2,900 would be a good lesson to teach them that dates on a contract do matter.

It would be a wake up call, and might teach them to be correct in the future where making those mistakes in the future could really hurt the client ( rather than hurt the realtor)

Last edited by marmac; 10-13-2009 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If a real estate agent isn't even competent enough to get the date right on the expiration date of a contract, I would look closely for other careless mistakes he/she is making.

As far as the wrong expiration date on the contract meaning nothing, tell that to the cops who write the wrong date on traffic tickets.

The judge will throw out the ticket if the driver contests it.

Amazing so many posters see nothing wrong with a wrong date on a realtor contract.

Is that kind of carelessness to be expected from realtors?
I don't think so and I doubt many realtors do this .

Why is everyone defending this moron of a realtor who can't even get legal binding dates on a contract right ?
A traffic ticket is not a contract.

In a court of law a judge can rule on obvious intent in a situation such as this. Obviously the end date of the contract could not be prior to the start date. The intent is clear.

And can you honestly tell me you never wrote the wrong date on something.

And the OP is a weasel. Originally saying he found a buyer when in fact the agent had already talked to the buyer and now he is just trying to cut the agent out.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota16 View Post
............ All I did was ask the question, no one is a weasel here...........
I see. You sign a contract on 8/31. Then in seven or eight weeks later (in October) you decide that it needs to be voided. You've had a change of heart, you want to sell it on your own. After all you have a buyer.

Having a problem with the Realtor is not uncommon and there are remedies available to deal with this.

Deciding that now that you have a buyer and you no longer need the Realtor's services and seeking advice from others in the industry so you can avoid paying what you contractually agreed that you owed is weaseling.

You can call me ignorant all you want.....I'm an appraiser and I've been called worse. But the one thing I lose respect for, real quick, is someone who is trying to void a contract using a minor mistake......you agreed to that date too, or didn't you read what you were signing? And because the intent is clear.....that on 8/31/09 you gave him exclusive right to sell your property for 180 days, you don't have a leg to stand on simply because you have buyers remorse.

If the Realtor says to lower the price and you don't think it is a good idea, tell the Realtor NO. You can always ask the Realtor for an accounting of his marketing efforts. When and where did he advertise it? What steps had he taken to acquire a buyer? If you had read the contract you would have seen language where the Realtor was going to market the property in return for his commission/fee. Failure to fulfill his side of the contract would be reason to break it. Not an error on a date that both of you agreed to.

I would probably have been glad to void the contract. You appear to be the kind of client I have absolutely no use for. I work only with people that I can trust.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM

----" And can you honestly tell me you never wrote the wrong date on something"-

ap[ples to oranges

I was never in a position of writing up legal binding contracts as part of my profession.

I can assure you, people that I know who were in that position, would be looking for a different profession if they started putting wrong dates on legally binding contracts.

Surprised, you as a realtor, have such a cavalier attitude about realtors putting wrong dates on contracts and saying " intent" over rules written words in a contract.

Sure lowers my trust level of realtors !

Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I see. You sign a contract on 8/31. Then in seven or eight weeks later (in October) you decide that it needs to be voided. You've had a change of heart, you want to sell it on your own. After all you have a buyer.

Having a problem with the Realtor is not uncommon and there are remedies available to deal with this.

Deciding that now that you have a buyer and you no longer need the Realtor's services and seeking advice from others in the industry so you can avoid paying what you contractually agreed that you owed is weaseling.

You can call me ignorant all you want.....I'm an appraiser and I've been called worse. But the one thing I lose respect for, real quick, is someone who is trying to void a contract using a minor mistake......you agreed to that date too, or didn't you read what you were signing?

If the Realtor says to lower the price and you don't think it is a good idea, tell the Realtor NO. You can ask the Realtor for an accounting of his marketing efforts. When and where did he advertise it? What steps had he taken to acquire a buyer? If you had read the contract you would have seen language where the Realtor was going to market the property in return for his commission/fee. Failure to fulfill his side of the contract would be reason to break it. Not an error on a date that both of you agreed to.

I would probably have been glad to void the contract. You appear to be the kind of client I have absolutely no use for. I work only with people that I can trust.

--" I work only with people I can trust "--

I hope to heck you get your dates right when writing up a contract, or I wouldn't put much trust in you either.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
--" I work only with people I can trust "--

I hope to heck you get your dates right when writing up a contract, or I wouldn't put much trust in you either.
At least I read what I am signing. And when I hire someone I make sure they are paid what I agree to pay.

I was just looking over the OP, and it seems $2,900 is a fee, not a commission. I wouldn't take a commission less than 6%, so the listing price would be $48,000 +/-............If the listing price is more, what do you want to bet the OP "negotiated" a minimal flat fee rather than a commission? So when selling a 5 figure item, you hire the cheapest guy out there as your agent and then you gripe about the competency of the service? I guess we can see where the real ignorance is.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM

----At least I read what I am signing "--

Evidently you do something that the realtor in the OP doesn't do.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
----At least I read what I am signing "--

Evidently you do something that the realtor in the OP doesn't do.
or the OP, eh?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 AM

-" I was looking over the OP"---
Ever hear of mobile homes listed under $48,000?

I have ( and in many parts of the US it would be commen)

Who says the $2900 flat fee was less than 6% ?

Only you !

Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
or the OP, eh?

??????????????

The wrong date written by the ----real estate agent-- has no chance of hurting the client ( in this case)

The wrong date written by the --real estate agent-- only has the potential of hurting the agent.( in this case)

He who that runs the greatest list of loss is the one who should be the most diligent when putting dates into a contract.

Do you ,also, put wrong dates on contracts that potentially will hurt you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate