Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM

140 posts, read 535,774 times

Advertisements

I recently closed on a townhome. At the final walk through the storm door was there. Unfortunatley the seller (also the listing agent) was at the final walk through.

After my realtor & I left the property the seller remained in her car in the driveway.

Now a few days later we went back to have the electric & gas turned back on (seller shut everything off after the walk-through) we found the storm door missing

I contacted my realtor and she said there's not much we can do now about it since everything was there at the walk through. What are my rights here? In the contract every fixture was included, but it didn't specifically mention the front door??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
You don't know that the seller took it. You said you went back a few days later -- a lot can happen in a few days. File a police report for theft, and claim it on your homeowner's insurance.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
The AC compressor walked off on one of the homes I purchased in the past. It walked off before the property transfer.
The seller had to file a police report and make claim for it on his insurance. We were credited with the cost of a replacement compressor.

Since you do not know when the storm door disappeared, it's going to be your dime. Most likely, the cost of a replacement door is less than your deductable.

It's always something.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,984,935 times
Mercury Cougar is right - you don't have proof or even evidence the seller stole the door.

I agree you should file a police report, report your thoughts and reasons why you think the seller stole the door. It may cause the police to contact the seller and ask questions. But again, just because the seller was sitting in a car, it's not evidence that he took the door off and put it in his car after you drove away.

BTW - Here in Colorado Springs, a condo association had a problem with homeowners stealing window screens from vacant units and putting them on their own windows. Crazy stuff like that happens.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 18,663 times
Possibly I'm misunderstanding, but who did the storm door actually belong around the time of theft? Did you "own" the home and have insurance covering it during that time frame. If not, the police will not take a report as you are not the property owner. If the seller still had legal possession of the home, she'll have to file the report -- which could get really sporty if she's the one that took it. If she's hesitant to file, it would speak volumes. Best of luck.........

Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,068,891 times
On one place we bought we had a fight with the seller about drapes.
We felt they were not excluded so they came with the sale. Brokers were on our side.

So after the closing, and before we got the locks changed, the previous owner drove back and went in the house (now ours) and took all the drapes and shades.

Two weeks after we moved in he came by the house again and the neighbors told him he didn't live there anymore and they were going to call the police. (Yeah, the neighbors hated him also).

Filed a police report but the police couldn't do anything. No proof it was him.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM

Thanks for your help! I never thought about claiming it as theft - I will look into that. I never thought this would happen in a closed off townhome development LOL

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA73 View Post
Possibly I'm misunderstanding, but who did the storm door actually belong around the time of theft? Did you "own" the home and have insurance covering it during that time frame. If not, the police will not take a report as you are not the property owner. If the seller still had legal possession of the home, she'll have to file the report -- which could get really sporty if she's the one that took it. If she's hesitant to file, it would speak volumes. Best of luck.........
I owned the home & have insurance during the time it was removed. It just sucks to be filing a claim and I barely moved in.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,856,667 times
Did the neighbors see anything?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Have you asked the other agent if they took it?

Have your agent call them and let them know you will be filing a police report.
The door may just show back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate