Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times

Advertisements

If it's not one thing it's another!

Friday was the buyer's home inspection. When we came back we noticed the front deadbolt wasn't locked as requested, but at least the doorknob was locked this time. [First time around, buyer's agent didn't lock the door at all. Our realtor brushed it off because we got a full listing price offer. Even tho we were upset, we figured everybody makes a mistake every now and then. Everybody is human.]

Last night, the buyer's agent stopped by and asked if we had seen the [not sure what it's called, but the little thingy you punch numbers in to unlock the Supra.] as he was sure he left it on the chair on the front porch. Sorry, no we haven't seen it, but we don't use the front door for the most part unless we have company or somebody knocks on the door. He said ok he probably left it in his wife's car as he has been driving it lately.

Today was the buyer's lender's appraisal. Our realtor called me about an hour after it was supposed to start, saying appraiser coudln't find the bottom part of the Supra and the keys and he [our realtor] was sure they were on our kitchen counter. No we didn't think so but we'd run home and check for sure. They weren't there. Buyer's agent is blaming inspector. Our realtor says no matter what, buyer's agent let the inspector in, it was buyer's agent's responsibility to make sure doors were locked & locked correctly.

We've basically torn the house apart, and look all around outside. No keys. Kinda worried that maybe the buyer's agent did leave the lock thingy and keys on the front porch, and one of the bat rastards in the neighbor hood took off with them.

Still waiting to hear if the keys have been found or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Regardless, if I were the listing agent, I would pay to have the lock immediately re-keyed and deal with the rest of this, agent to agent, behind the scenes.

Friday-Wednesday is a long time of uncertainty. You need to re-key your lock and get reimbursed for it by the listing agent/broker.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I agree with middle-aged mom. You need (or your agent needs, actually) to get the lock re-keyed and take it up with the buyer's agent or their broker.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,043,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Regardless, if I were the listing agent, I would pay to have the lock immediately re-keyed and deal with the rest of this, agent to agent, behind the scenes.

Friday-Wednesday is a long time of uncertainty. You need to re-key your lock and get reimbursed for it by the listing agent/broker.
Exactly. Good advice MAM - get those locks changed immediately and just let the agents work it out (with one or both of them paying for the lock change).

Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
JOIN THE CLUB!! I am sick to death of unethical agents who take keys or change lockbox combo's. About 75% of the listings I've taken in the last year have had the keys stolen....so whenever I get a listing, I automatically make multiple copies of the keys.

I had an agent call a couple weeks ago and he reamed the crap out of me because keys were stolen from my combo lockbox, which I installed per my client's instruction. The agent seemed to be under the mistaken belief that it's not possible to steal keys from a supra or sentrilock. It's gotten so bad that I'm trying to figure out a way to have a camera pointed at the front door on all of my listings and have the capability to pull up the history of the property online so I'd be able to view recorded data to determine who stole the key.

I don't let the missing key thing go. I will narrow down the timeframe of when the keys went missing, then I call all of the brokers of agents who showed during the "missing key" hour. I ask the broker to make sure his/her agents are mindful of the fact that if they remove a key from a lockbox, they are responsible for returning the key at the end of their appointment. I ask that he/she make sure all agents in office are aware of the trouble they could get themselves over doing something so silly. I also let the broker know that I play by the rules and if I'm ever able to prove his/her agent is the culprit, I WILL file a grievance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
If it's not one thing it's another!

Friday was the buyer's home inspection. When we came back we noticed the front deadbolt wasn't locked as requested, but at least the doorknob was locked this time. [First time around, buyer's agent didn't lock the door at all. Our realtor brushed it off because we got a full listing price offer. Even tho we were upset, we figured everybody makes a mistake every now and then. Everybody is human.]

Last night, the buyer's agent stopped by and asked if we had seen the [not sure what it's called, but the little thingy you punch numbers in to unlock the Supra.] as he was sure he left it on the chair on the front porch. Sorry, no we haven't seen it, but we don't use the front door for the most part unless we have company or somebody knocks on the door. He said ok he probably left it in his wife's car as he has been driving it lately.

Today was the buyer's lender's appraisal. Our realtor called me about an hour after it was supposed to start, saying appraiser coudln't find the bottom part of the Supra and the keys and he [our realtor] was sure they were on our kitchen counter. No we didn't think so but we'd run home and check for sure. They weren't there. Buyer's agent is blaming inspector. Our realtor says no matter what, buyer's agent let the inspector in, it was buyer's agent's responsibility to make sure doors were locked & locked correctly.

We've basically torn the house apart, and look all around outside. No keys. Kinda worried that maybe the buyer's agent did leave the lock thingy and keys on the front porch, and one of the bat rastards in the neighbor hood took off with them.

Still waiting to hear if the keys have been found or not.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
JOIN THE CLUB!! I am sick to death of unethical agents who take keys or change lockbox combo's. About 75% of the listings I've taken in the last year have had the keys stolen....so whenever I get a listing, I automatically make multiple copies of the keys.

I had an agent call a couple weeks ago and he reamed the crap out of me because keys were stolen from my combo lockbox, which I installed per my client's instruction. The agent seemed to be under the mistaken belief that it's not possible to steal keys from a supra or sentrilock.
I think this could be potentially alarming to the man off the street.

I am inferring that the "unattached" key placed in the lockbox, goes missing. Most likely the showing agent stuck it in his/her pocket and forgot to return it. While this is frustrating, it is not the same thing as someone off the street gaining access to the lockbox and walking off with the key.

Lock box systems, like Sentrilock, will tell you which agent was in the property and at what time. If the key is missing subsequent, the listing agent knows who has it.....not the same thing as the showing agent admitting to pocketing it, by mistake.

Use of off the shelf combination lockboxes with static codes ( more common on vacant properties) means no one can be certain, who was the last person through the door. Showing agent may return later in the day or even the next day....you just don't know.

As it relates to the OP's situation, the key was attached to the removable part of the SUPRA lockbox. Not only is the key MIA, a vital part of the lock box is also MIA.

I am at a loss as to what was meant by agents who change lock box combos. Do tell.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Finally got the locks changed Friday afternoon. Appraiser came at the same time since we were there. Per the relocation company NOBODY will be in our house again until we are totally out. Movers leave whenever they are done loading 10/28. Somebody from listing agent's office - not listing agent, I'm done with him - will come over and get one set of keys 10/29 at 4:45am as I want to be out of here no later than 5:00am. Tough cookies if they don't want to be there that early, relo co set it up. Nobody's getting keys to my house until I leave. NOBODY. Listing agent had keys and bottom of lock box and the key pad lock thingy. Guess he came over at the time of the inspection, found them on the chair by the front door, and took them to "serve the buyer's agent right" for leaving them there. Guess it's why he was dragging his feet on getting the locks changed. He said he wanted buyer's agent to admit he left them where he shouldn't have. He apologized. I never blinked an eye. Just stood there and stared at him. [Oh and locks were changed AFTER he admited to having the keys. HIS boss's demand that they were changed immediately. And listing agent is paying for it, not buyer's agent.]

Funny they both kept blaming it on the inspector. Even tho there was a time set up for a home inspection, there was no inspector. We knew it. Nothing was inspected. Water not turned on, dishwasher not turned on, furnace hot water heater not checked, garage not even entered. Buyer came over to measure rooms. All she did. [we had no problem with that. none whatsoever. no repairs to negotiate!] Listing agent admited it to us before the lock fiasco, then continued to say it was the inspector who had the keys because the buyer's agent was "seasoned" and wouldn't do that. whatever.

Is it over yet? [10 days and counting! At least on this end!]

Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm speechless.

The whole deal is so darn unprofessional.

Only 10 more days.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate