U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a tool to somehow compare
--my builders incentives (10K) if I use one of his recommended mortgage lenders (suntrust or WellsFargo)
--with a mortgage from someone else with probably a better interest rate

I need a way to put all the different costs together from each lender..different origination fees etc...

any help here would be greatly appreciated!
closing in Feb-Mar 2010.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM

36,359 posts, read 40,173,444 times
Each lender should be able to generate you a GFE - Good Faith Estimate.

While it is an estimate of taxes, insurance ,ect, it should show you exactly what the lender fees will be. Normally 98% of the time it is difficult for a regular lender to compete with the incentives offered by a builders lender. Make sure before you close, the fees quoted are the fees charged.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM

9,693 posts, read 19,068,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Each lender should be able to generate you a GFE - Good Faith Estimate.

While it is an estimate of taxes, insurance ,ect, it should show you exactly what the lender fees will be. Normally 98% of the time it is difficult for a regular lender to compete with the incentives offered by a builders lender. Make sure before you close, the fees quoted are the fees charged.
What he said. For what it's worth, I've had good experiences with my local WF and Suntrust. The ones to look out for are the small never heard of preferred lenders or in true in house lenders (looking at you Beazer Mortgage).

Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM

36,359 posts, read 40,173,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What he said. For what it's worth, I've had good experiences with my local WF and Suntrust. The ones to look out for are the small never heard of preferred lenders or in true in house lenders (looking at you Beazer Mortgage).
Yeah, from my experience Pulte (& Centex) is one of the worst about what they quote is subject to mysteriously change. I'm sure there are others.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM

205 posts, read 764,644 times
I think it's more important to look at the bottom line and objectively compare all mortgage options while factoring in the builder incentive. It's also critical to check out the people who will be handling your loan. Sure, it would seem like the builder mortgage companies are in bed with the builder and are less trustworthy, but I've had a very positive experience with Lennar. I had an awful experience earlier this year with Wells Fargo. It's kind of a crapshoot sometimes.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:21 AM

835 posts, read 3,738,886 times
This is what I recommend to my clients who are up against this decision.

Take the builders money!!! Bottom line is I don't have 10K in total fees never mind being able to give it back to you. You have to structure this correctly to make it work in your favor.

Have the builders lender give you the highest rate they can with the minimal fees. Stick with me here. Depending on your loan amount and local fees it may be possible to pay no closing costs as it is here in NC.

So you could have had 4.75% with full fees and 1% orgination from a 3rd party but not 10k in upgrades. Now you have 5.5% with no fees and 10k in upgrades. Your question is "is it worth it?" Definitely, and this is why. As long as you don't agree to a prepayment penalty you can start refinancing the day after you buy the house. Your not paying closing costs twice because you didn't pay them the 1st time.

Get the free upgrades and the rate you deserve. Why choose when you can have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate