Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM

89 posts, read 199,651 times

Advertisements

Okay, quick background since I have posted on here before. I put my house up about 6 weeks before the credit expired. At 14 days we had 9 showings and an offer, offer accepted...3 weeks later they changed their mind (more about moving to Alaska not really the house issue) House goes back on with a week left in the credit. One showing...then nothing.

After the credit expired I asked for a new strategy and what we were going to do. One phone call suggesting I have a yard sale (no my house is NOT cluttered, she even stated I could try and have family go together and do it), but the idea was that she could do an open house again (the first one had no signage and was a TOTAL waste) I declined that asked for more ideas...No calls since...this has been over 3 weeks.
We wanted to update the picture, trying one without snow...granted it hasn't been super long since the last snowfall, but now that its warm, its time to change. She never did nor called..this was discussed in the yard sale discussion.

So, today I called and said she needed to be out here tomorrow to take pictures. I was not going to take pictures this time. Also, we need to discuss a slight price drop. (trying to get in a different price search and just redo the look of the listing). I am offering less than comps (sold AND selling) there are no issues with my house, though since we had a sale fall through I worry people might think that there are. My question (sorry for all the background), what is the best way to address the issues I am having.

When first interviewing her I stated that I needed a LOT of communication. I do not do well being out of the loop. I have initiated all contact since after the accepted offer...all the way through it falling through. She said she would be in constant contact. However, as stated I have nothing. Not hearing something once a week is unacceptable to me. I mean I want feedback, suggestions. The new pictures, me, the price drop, me....I won't be getting the commission and if only listing it on the mls is what she is doing, I could have paid a lot less for that.

Basically I want to know a plan of action and if there isn't one....how do I go about getting out of the contract. I was out of town when my husband signed the contract, we had discussed only wanting 3 months....he somehow signed one for 6 months. The 3 months would be over in a few weeks, so I wouldn't have this issue if it had just been that.

I just want to know the most appropriate way to go about this. I don't want emotions to get involved and I want it to be professional. As a person she seems very nice, but she is not doing what we agreed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,852,715 times
As a person she seems very nice, but she is not doing what we agreed to.

You answered your own question. Read the terms of the agreement and follow whatever steps you need to take to dissolve the relationship. Usually, it just involves asking to terminate the contract in writing.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,459,926 times
I don't know the laws in your state. In many states, if you are on the deed, then you should be on the listing agreement and any and all contracts.

You want a plan and weekly communication and are not getting it from your agent. Sounds like she is either too busy or has no idea what to do. This garage sale thingy is bizarre. Open house rarely get a home sold, especially in this market.

You can speak to her managing broker and ask to be reassigned to another agent who will communicate and perhaps bring a fresh approach to your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate