Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM

256 posts, read 1,386,930 times

Advertisements

My sister's ex is doing a refi on their jointly owned home. The ex is buying out my sister on the house, so the amt. of the appraisal is what she has to go by when determining how much equity there is to divide.

The first appraisal ordered by the loan company came back at $180,000. The loan company ordered a second appraisal which came back at $196,000. Neither appraisal gives any credit for a beautiful two car detached garage. The loan company tells my sister that an appraiser has the "option" of including detached buildings in the appraisal.

Obviously it would be best for her to order her own appraisal but there is very little money here and she'd rather not spend an extra $350. We are just wondering about the honesty of the loan company regarding the "option" to include the value of the garage.

Any info at all will be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM

15,487 posts, read 40,178,438 times
I've never heard that and they are always included on appraisals here. Shops and garages are worth money.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,513,903 times
Garages are nor part of the GLA (Gross Living Area) but do have a contributory value.

However, if all the comparables used in the appraisal have similar garages there won't be an adjustment.

Please ask your sister to convey to the loan company that the person who told her that is a moron and should take some basic appraisal classes so he/she is better equipped to deal with his/her professional challenges.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
If this is not a misunderstanding I would think this is illegal. The mortgage is for the land and all the improvements, can't imagine how a garage could not be included. Even in mild climates where garages are not a necessity they are still a plus. Heck paving and even nice gravel off street parking generally add value ...

Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,967,846 times
A detached garage should be included - it may or may not have much value (depends on the area) - there may or may not be a price adjustment (depends on the comps) - but it's clearly part of the property.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Thank you all SO MUCH! The appraiser took a photo of the garage, which he labed a shed. This a large shed on the property but there is no photo or mention of it at all.

Anyway, in spite of the photo, there is a place on the appraisal to check off whether the is a garage OR a shed, and that area is not checked.

So like I said, we are a little suspicious that the ex has gotten an appraisal that is just high enough to provide him with the amount of cash out that HE DECIDED she should accept in settlement, but that is deliberately no higher than that amount.

This is in Delaware. I guess we should call some DE appraisers tomorrow and ask them if the garage should be included...maybe in DE it doesn't matter.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,813,290 times
have your sister pay for her own appraisal!! that is whacked!!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 PM

No way to edit a post on here? Well I meant to say in my second post, in the third sentence, that "There IS a large shed on the property" along with the garage. The appraiser did not photograph or mention the shed, which is very nice, and although he photographed the garage, he doesn't mention it in the appraisal (except that the photo is included) or show any value adjustment for it.
Thanks so much for all comments!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post

This is in Delaware. I guess we should call some DE appraisers tomorrow and ask them if the garage should be included...maybe in DE it doesn't matter.
Yes it does. USPAP has been adopted as law in all states.

Your sister should have her own appraisal done or, at a minimum, have the current appraisal reviewed by a competent review appraiser.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
The appraiser did not photograph or mention the shed, which is very nice, and although he photographed the garage, he doesn't mention it in the appraisal (except that the photo is included) or show any value adjustment for it.
Thanks so much for all comments!
Sheds, if they are not on a permanent foundation, are considered personal property and are not be included in the valuation of real estate.

As I mentioned before, if the garage is similar to the garages of the comparable sales used, no adjustment is warranted.

Just the fact that a photograph of the garage is in the report appears to indicated that mention of the presence of a garage is not purposely omitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate