Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times

Advertisements

Who would know best how to judge a neighborhood for safety, good value, compatibility, and quality of life? Gossiping can be very revealing...

I realize opinions are subjective, and realtors are not always OB-jective in describing a neighborhood, but who would you choose to talk to?

The neighbors? Police? City workers? The postman?

I'm looking to hear from people who found out INTERESTING THINGS about the area before buying there, and how they learned what they did that affected their home purchase decision.

(Other than the helpful posts here on this forum, of course.)

Thanks for any advice and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Who would know best how to judge a neighborhood for safety, good value, compatibility, and quality of life? Gossiping can be very revealing...

I realize opinions are subjective, and realtors are not always OB-jective in describing a neighborhood, but who would you choose to talk to?

The neighbors? Police? City workers? The postman?

I'm looking to hear from people who found out INTERESTING THINGS about the area before buying there, and how they learned what they did that affected their home purchase decision.

(Other than the helpful posts here on this forum, of course.)

Thanks for any advice and input.
Well, not a buyer duh lol, but just a few suggestions: Some municipalities post crime statistics, neighbors can be a good source of info and just try a google search for your areas of interest. It's amazing the type of information that can be found on the internet - some things agents are prohibited from disclosing by law, so unless they want to face suspension or worse, have to keep their yap closed about certain things, ya know?

Maybe also google the specific town site and search it. God I miss the information I used to be able to find on municipal sites. Anyway, that's a good way you can get a head start on finding out some info on different areas.

Oh, and also check the 'state & city specific' forums on CD. There are a lot of local people who post there and can be a good source of info on their specific area - the good, the bad and the ugly lol Good luck in your quest!

Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
The police and neighbors will tell you tons. One of my buyers called it "recon" in talking with the neighbors. He got great information, which was very helpful in negotiations. Helps to be a good looking, intelligent young man..

Agents have to be careful about steering (fair housing laws) and such so we tend to be a pretty guarded group when talking neighborhood specifics.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
You have to really be careful being over reliant on anything that is subjective. There is no shortage of objective data for things like the quality of high schools, crime data, information of about costs and even income. Some of the freshest data is in propriety data sources, but lots of free stuff is still pretty relevant.

I would not rely on postal workers at all -- even in the few area where they still walk the routes interaction is pretty limited as few people are around during the day. Police tend to interact with those who violate laws much more so that than the 'average resident' and I would worry that this would bias their views strongly. Municipal workers are only rarely in contact with residents in an "unofficial" capacity -- the things they'd hear fixing a water main or checking for permits bear little relevance to how most folks live in town. Even neighbors are a notoriously unreliable source of information -- the odds of encountering the "saboteur" that has a grudge against a departing neighbor are quite high, as is the converse -- the "plant" that will report the neighborhood is rosy spoiling the value of 'recon' in either attempt.

I like to suggest to folks that want to pick up on local flavor to try to schedule an anonymous visit to a anything from Little League to Trick or Treating to "summer festivals". If a town doesn't have any of those that too is telling...

Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM

315 posts, read 776,313 times
Due to the fair housing act and other laws, agents are very limited in the information they can provide on these subjects. Most will just suggest doing your own research. If they overly hint, that you really should do some research, they and probably offering you a clue you would be wise to hear. This has been my past experience anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate