Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times

Advertisements

They must have a good feeling about 2010? What kind of qualifications would you expect to see in one of these job interviews? Personally, I think they can pick 'the best of the best', like degreed people from real colleges.
The previous decade has been a debacle of everybody and his brother getting into realestate loans. Talk about a market saturated with used-car salesmen...thank god the housing crash caused a massive "bump and flush".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
JPMorgan-Chase to hire 1,200 Loan Officers

That's the good news, the bad news is they will all be in India taking loan apps between giving advice to Dell Computer customers.

Get a loan and have your computer repaired with some Indian guy named Mike.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM

315 posts, read 776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

That's the good news, the bad news is they will all be in India taking loan apps between giving advice to Dell Computer customers.

I have several city bank accounts. They have contracted about 65% of their call centers to India. While I have nothing against fine folks from India, they train them there to respond to answers and problems like robots. They cannot and will not think, or provide information outside their little box they were taught to stay in. It is sooo frustrating when you have even a minor complex issue, or question. I've had better luck with an automated system anyday.

So whenever I call, if I get someone on the line from India, I just hang up and keep calling back until I reach someone in the US. It usually takes 3-4 tries.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Hey I think I know that guy! Talk about one stop shopping lol Seriously though that's what kills me - people in the US could use those jobs, but let's just ship them overseas to save a few bucks

Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 PM

328 posts, read 886,277 times
Good news!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
From the JP Morgan/Chase website:

Minimum of three years of mortgage lending or mortgage banking experience
College degree or 4 years equivalent work experience in sales and/or real estate is required
Sales and consulting skills required
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Knowledge of real estate market in local area
Knowledge of FHA, VA, FNMA, FHLMC guidelines
FHA/VA sales experience preferred
Intermediate PC skills required in a Windows environment

Bilingual skills are also required in some branch offices.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
The question that should be asked is.. why? Why are they hiring 1200 loan officers now? There is another bank that is hiring 700. I wonder what they know that we don't? That's a lot of people

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
I have several city bank accounts. They have contracted about 65% of their call centers to India. While I have nothing against fine folks from India, they train them there to respond to answers and problems like robots. They cannot and will not think, or provide information outside their little box they were taught to stay in. It is sooo frustrating when you have even a minor complex issue, or question. I've had better luck with an automated system anyday.

So whenever I call, if I get someone on the line from India, I just hang up and keep calling back until I reach someone in the US. It usually takes 3-4 tries.
The massive U.S. based call centers generally employ organized labor.
Most massive call center positions, regardless of industry, require employees to follow a prompted script. Such scripts often include prompts to sell you something else. Ever try and communicate with your phone company or cable provider?

U.S. consumers refuse to pay a premium price for U.S. labor. Investors want a decent ROI. To survive, corporations increasingly respond with outsourcing, which eliminates U.S. based jobs. It's circular.

A substantial portion of U.S. corporate infrustructure is increasingly being outsourced to India and other offshore places because the labor pool is better educated, highly motivated and substantially cheaper.

As it relates to mortgage origination, there is no telling which bank is going to service the loan or for how long, let alone where that bank's call centers are based.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase are making most of the government-funded home loans now. The bad news is that it'll cost the taxpayer 200 billion dollars a year to keep bailing out Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, and FHLB since they're intentionally making bad loans under the direction of the administration and Congress. They found out that the real estate market can't be propped up if they only made loans to qualified borrowers.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

The bad news is that it'll cost the taxpayer 200 billion dollars a year to keep bailing out Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, and FHLB since they're intentionally making bad loans under the direction of the administration and Congress. They found out that the real estate market can't be propped up if they only made loans to qualified borrowers.

How many people can afford 50% down, on a 5 year balloon, the most common mortgage term before Government put their muscle into real estate.

The U.S. Government began propping the market 75 years ago. There have been 11 different administrations between Roosevelt and Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate