U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 PM

58 posts, read 486,925 times

Advertisements

As it is November, we tried to drain the outdoor spigots in our new house, only to find out that both spigots have no shut-off valves. They are not the frost-free kind either.

How much does a plumber charge to install two frost-free spigots? Or two shut-off valves? Are any of these DIY jobs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 PM

86,067 posts, read 78,565,623 times
I cover mine up. Home Depot/Lowes sells them. Hard covers or the soft glove like covers with velcro straps.

In a pinch though..first freeze and I forgot where I hid them..I just wrap them in towels til I can find my covers.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:17 AM

91,662 posts, read 88,985,271 times
we are in the brutal winters of the pocono mountains of pa and we have no shutoffs either, never a problem, the house seems to keep them warm enough so even if the freeze its not been a problem

Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 AM

2,176 posts, read 8,655,143 times
I live in Ohio where the temp gets below zero occassionaly during the winter. Sometimes much below.
I have never had a problem with the spigots in the spring and I've lived in my house for 20 years.
If the pipes to the outside spigots are in a basement the water in the pipes seem to stay warm enough to prevent freezing at the spigot. If the pipes are in a crawl space then it might be a problem along with all the other water pipes.
I just make sure there are no hoses attached to the spigots so the water in the hoses can't back freeze to the spigot. No one leaves hoses attached to spigots in the winter anyway. At least they shouldn't.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,739,814 times
Evidently Minnesota winter are " more brutal" than winters in the pocono mountains of pa cuz I have had them freeze and they came out of a heated basement.

No hoses attatched either.

There is a reason they sell the "frost-free " ones.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,220,560 times
The frost free ones are the way to go. The actual valve mechanism is way way way back inside where it is warm. Some are designed for retrofit. If you can handle the soldering and pipe prep it is not too hard. Good plumbers can do it way faster than any DIYer. Expect under an hour of labor per hose bib unless you have some ancient piping that will not be easy to retrofit a new sweated connection.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM

14,563 posts, read 7,475,265 times
We had that problem with the one out front. Broke off and flooded the basement. Not like that was the 1st flooding. Everytime it rained really, really bad, we'd come home from work and find a coupla inches or more of water in the basement and spent practically all evening up til 11 or 12 midnight emptying w/ mops, buckets and my wet mop vac. Grueling, especially if it was a weekday and ya have to get up (real) early the next day. We finally got tired of it and had the basement done ala 'Dry' basement job that cost more than it probably should have, and had sump pumps put in too. All's well that ends well. Plumber put in a shut-off valve too and no probs since.
Recently the spigot out back didn't want to shut off. Not a good thing to happen. Running water when not needed, wastes money. Also, not good if it freezes and reaches further into the pipes, possibly causing them to burst.
Realized we only had one shut-off valve installed inside the house [basement] and not for the spigot out back either, just the one out front. Another call to our plumber. We're not the DIY'r types. Anyways, I believe the cost was less than a hundred bucks but I don't plan to bet my paycheck on it, sorry. If, I remember when I get home to ask, will add later this evening. I'm sure though, depending on how often you call your plumber and your payment on time record, you can probably get a good deal and also depends on where you live in the states, as some places will always charge more than others.

Last edited by cat1116; 11-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Oh, we also use those coveralls for the faucet when weather gets cold. Walmart even sells them.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 PM

58 posts, read 486,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are in the brutal winters of the pocono mountains of pa and we have no shutoffs either, never a problem, the house seems to keep them warm enough so even if the freeze its not been a problem
Wow, and here I am in SE PA (near Philly) and I am worried. Well I may not need them, but if what cat 1116 says is true, i.e. costs less than 100 bucks, then I will have them put in, just for peace of mind. If a pipe ever bursts, it's going to cost a lot more than that to clean up.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM

38,191 posts, read 42,693,348 times
Be sure and disconnect ant water hoses from the new style. It can keep them from releasing the extra water and cause them to freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate