Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 AM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times

Advertisements

Say one can pay cash for a house. What is that worth to agents? To sellers?

Does it mean a commission can be reduced? House price reduced?

Cash means no banks are required. No credit checks. No mortgage or mortgage insurance. There have to be savings there somewhere.

I'm curious what the Realtors here can contribute on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 12:01 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,570 times
I am not a realtor, but I am a seller who sold to a cash buyer and I am a buyer who is purchasing a home with cash. As a seller, I accepted a lower offer b/c the buyers had cash. As a buyer, I have builders really, really, really trying to build my home b/c I don't have to finance. As one builder told me, he lost 6 sales b/c the buyers could not get the loan.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 PM

244 posts, read 747,219 times
Paying cash does not lower the commission. The seller and Realtor already have a contract signed for the commission amount. Cash does affect the offer. If you have cash and someone bids higher than you with financing you may take it. If you both bid the same you definitely take it. A seller may be willing to take an offer that they would not normally take because you are paying cash. Cash is King.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
Thank you both for the information!

Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I just sold to a cash buyer. I accepted a lower offer because I knew it was going to happen.

I have bought my last 2 houses with cash and both times have bid lower and been accepted in less than 24 hours.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The comments from the buyers on this thread seem to indicate that there are at least some people that will respond postively to a "cash offer". The reality, however, is that THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE to well informed sellers whether there a lender involved or not.

While the OP is correct that without a lender the BUYER does not need to have their credit verified, the SELLER would be remiss to accept a reduced amount simply because of a cash offer and could result in significant difficulty if the source of the funds is not verified and proper title transfer procedures are not followed. This is not as easy as signing over the title of a 1986 Chevy, houses are typically an individual's largest purchase ever...

Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 AM

181 posts, read 409,175 times
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Cash offers are stronger than offers contingent on financing if both are offering the same amount. Even if the cash offer is less, I would be more likely to accept less because I know how many deals are falling apart because of lender issues.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
A financing contingency for that well qualified pre-approved buyers is not something that sellers should worry about.

If the seller is willing to take $ttt,hto for their property all cash they should be willing to take that at close of approved lender deal, or else they should not list their home for sale...

Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
7 years ago, before I became a real estate agent, I sold my house to a cash buyer, in a multiple bid situation, where the two best and final offers were the same. My agent and I verified that the cash was in a money market account and stipulated, within the contract, it would remain there, until closing. In other words, I favored the cash buyer over the one that needed financing.

Cash buyer guy did not get a better deal but did get the house he wanted.

Agents get paid when a ready, willing and able buyer comes to the closing table and does what he says he will do. The source of funding is not relevent.

In this market, some sellers might be inclined to give more on price in exchange for the increased certainty of closing.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
It eliminates about half of the criminal element of the transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate