Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsColeridge View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies, ideas, and even the funny Mr. Coleridge scenario, although there isn't a Mr here so that is definitely not
a possibility but gave me a good laugh.

To answer a few questions....

I was sent a letter basically saying she was cancelling the listing but no, I didn't sign anything agreeing to this cancellation.

In doing some checking around, I've been told off the record that this particular company/Agent is now promoting a new housing tract therefore is very uninterested in showing a 40 year old house when newer, easier to sell properties are their main focus now. It was nothing I did. Nobody asked me to lower my price, de-clutter anything, I didn't miss a showing, etc. etc....it wasn't about me, it was about what was easier to spend the time on. AND to homeowner 35-I had NO unrealistic expectations. I have a house to sell and hired an Agent to try to sell it. That's it, plain and simple.

So again, thank you all so much for your comments and time!!

Dee
Hey Dee, glad you at least got a little chuckle during this about the Mr. Coleridge lol Anyway, to biz - regardless of whether or not what you're hearing is true, and I learned this when I practiced in the States and have certainly learned it being down here 5 years, is that not everything one hears through the grapevine is true. So while maybe that's the reason the agent cancelled the listing - maybe it's not. I would still though give the BIC an earfull about WTH happened and how "you" feel about the situation. We represent developers, but doesn't mean we fire all of our resale clients, you know? I am a BIC and I would certainly want to know about the situation because, again, what you heard might not be true and for all you know the BIC isn't even aware of what the agent did.

Then I'd just focus on the end result, which is selling your home. Interview several other agents, be very clear in YOUR expectations for service, ask a LOT of questions to make sure that the next one you hire is on the same page as you and get them working for you right away. Like any profession there's the good, the bad and the ugly. But what's important here is to just move forward and find someone who is motivated, will work hard for you and you two have a good working relationship. Best of luck, Joy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I noticed that some of the Realtors lol said just find another agent. I would do everything within reason to make sure that the agent that cancelled your contract was reported to everyone that I could. If only to prevent someone else from getting screwed over by the same agent.

Yes you can basically ignore it, as some agents have suggested, but what does that do for the next homeowner/buyer?

You would think that the reputable honest agents in the world (and the forum) would want that bad agent to be weeded out, instead you are being told ignore it or it's not worth it lol

Good luck with your sale either way you choose!
Maybe you didn't read the whole thread before you went out and promoted your agent bashing agenda. The OP stated she received a letter from the listing agent informing her that she was canceling the listing. The agents all told her to just go hire someone who cared. The question was what to do, not that she wanted vengeance on the agent. The professionals advised her to go get another Realtor.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Maybe you didn't read the whole thread before you went out and promoted your agent bashing agenda. The OP stated she received a letter from the listing agent informing her that she was canceling the listing. The agents all told her to just go hire someone who cared. The question was what to do, not that she wanted vengeance on the agent. The professionals advised her to go get another Realtor.

Thanks for proving my point !!! lol

Why just get a new Realtor lol just to ignore a bad agent and not try and weed them out?

I'm not bashing all agents and have no agenda, I know there are good ones out there as well. I just think its odd that the OP is basically told to ignore it and move on, leaving the next person to deal with a bad Realtor lol

Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
But, as all of the examples I reposted for you in case you didn't actually READ the thread showed, the OP was given the advice BOTH to report the agent to the managing broker (the appropriate first step) but also to focus on her main goal, selling her house. You seem to be the one with the main goal of vengeance (plus, of course, agent bashing - I'll have to go read your other posts to see if that's an accurate read from this one thread or not, of course).

So, the agents focused on her main goal, not yours, and you're castigating them for it. Go figure.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:

Why just get a new Realtor lol just to ignore a bad agent and not try and weed them out?

I'm not bashing all agents and have no agenda, I know there are good ones out there as well. I just think its odd that the OP is basically told to ignore it and move on, leaving the next person to deal with a bad Realtor lol
Sure she can try to weed out a bad agent. But given that she needs to sell her home, perhaps her focus is better served doing that first. After all, the agent sounds rather nutty, and dealing with a nutjob is never an easy exercise. After having had two bad agents in my experience, I would take the release and run if I were in the OP's shoes. I have since learned that next time around, I will choose a better person to represent me.

Reporting the agent to the BIC is not ignoring the problem. But moving on and getting the house sold would be the best revenge in this case.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I think as we grow older and hopefully wiser to pick our battles wisely.

No use expending extra time or money chasing an agent who decided she could not help the OP in good faith sell her house. Matter of fact you would have a better complaint if she had kept the listing, let it sit on the market and not made the required effort to get it sold.

I am a firm believer and we tell our sellers they can easily fire me if we don't do our job because I want to fire them if also needed.

The agent letting the listing go did her a favor, No need to file a complaint. The agent might have done a better job communicating with the seller and assisted her in finding a good agent to take the listing (Referral fees are nice)

Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:

Because in order to file a complaint and have something done about it, they have to BREAK A LAW. Having bad customer service isn't against the law...just not good business practice.

Since the contract doesn't spell out that the agent can or can't terminate on a whim, why in the world would someone spends thousands of dollars to create a point of law?

You are arguing a point on principle. The agents are arguing a point on reality. In the United States you can legally have crappy customer service.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But, as all of the examples I reposted for you in case you didn't actually READ the thread showed, the OP was given the advice BOTH to report the agent to the managing broker (the appropriate first step) but also to focus on her main goal, selling her house. You seem to be the one with the main goal of vengeance (plus, of course, agent bashing - I'll have to go read your other posts to see if that's an accurate read from this one thread or not, of course).

So, the agents focused on her main goal, not yours, and you're castigating them for it. Go figure.

The agent I did bash was the one the OP has written about, does that mean I am just simply "agent bashing" lol

If thats all you got from it then whats the point lol

Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Actually, I did, out of curiosity and giving you the benefit of the doubt in case I was misreading yoiur intent here, go and read several of your other posts. Yep, you've got an agent-bashing agenda, and anyone who cares to look at your posts as a body of work can see it.

What tipped me off was you ignoring the numerous comments (that I quoted for you) advising the OP to report the agent to the managing broker, the first step. But I did grant that I could possibly be mistaken and checked, just in case I was. I wasn't.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsColeridge View Post
My Agent canceled my listing after just a month into our contract because she feels we have a personality conflict although this makes no sense.
Quote:
I was sent a letter basically saying she was canceling the listing but no, I didn't sign anything agreeing to this cancellation.
Two things things jump out at me. She my have had a personality issue between you guys and she did not want to confront it and you do not recognize it.

And.... the biggest fault she did was write a letter to communicate. The agent should have been grown up , called to ask to personally come over and discussed the truth for whatever reason she had for letting the listing go.

She could have been more professional in the way she terminated the listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate