Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
She did fine in the beginning, led us to believe she was efficient and prompt. She did mention when she met us that she usually sells high-end homes, but they are not selling right now, so basically she was letting us know she was 'stepping down' a notch on the totem pole in helping us sell our middle class home in west Boynton. She made it seem all fru-fru with all the websites she put our home on, the fancy printouts to be left at the door for potential buyers to take with them, she got a virtual tour done, but after that, she like dropped off the face of the planet. She even was the one calling us for like the first 10 days with showing schedules (which we turned NOT ONE, down)...but then one day, she never called about them again, someone from her firm began calling to schedule.
It seems like after that, her efficiency dwindled.
So, are you saying that her commission could be rescinded or not given to her if we complained?
I'd be fearful of her suing us.
The overwhelming number of listing agents do not personally schedule showing appointments. Rather, appointments go through the broker's front desk or a dedicated showing service unless it's a high end/agent accompany showing or there is a preference to do so.

Too bad she did not tell you about the change in protocol, when it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
And here, sometimes, often, even, the buyer's agent will call the seller directly to schedule the showing. Speeds things along for everybody, and our lockboxes tell us who was in the house when for security and so we can follow up for feedback. There's a variety of options on our MLS, from Appointment with Agent to Go and everything in between. Calling the seller and going is one of them.

I don't use scheduling agencies after having had experience with them from the buyer's agent's end. They made it so difficult to actually see the properties that my buyer (a former agent herself so knowing how it should go) passed on a few showings just due to the hassle. A couple of experiences like that made me leery of them as a listing agent.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
So, let's review.... as some point in the process she delegated showing appointments to her office or a showing service, which is how the majority of showing appointments are made.

A buyer's agent brought in the buyer, which is how most sales occur.

She communicated and negotiated your multiple offers via phone, which is how most offers are handled, unless agreed to otherwise.

She adhered to protocol and sent the personal property addendum to the buyer's agent and requested the buyer's agent to confirm it.

She will not be at the walk thru or the closing.....while this is not how I run my business, it is increasingly common, at least in my area.

Going back to the job description, she educated you, she created excitment within the marketplace, she negotiated multiple offers and worked with you to determined which offer you wanted to accept. She did her job.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
To the OP.... I was curious if you thought since the house sold quickly and you had multiple offers the real problem is you thought she did not earn her money ?

Do you think you overpaid her for the effort and results ? Could this be the real underlying problem ?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Just so you know, I am not an agent, never have been. I work the desk in a real estate office, and have for 8 years, so I am basing my answers not on my own dealings, but from witnessing the behaviors of many agents over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And here, sometimes, often, even, the buyer's agent will call the seller directly to schedule the showing. Speeds things along for everybody, and our lockboxes tell us who was in the house when for security and so we can follow up for feedback. There's a variety of options on our MLS, from Appointment with Agent to Go and everything in between. Calling the seller and going is one of them.
This is the most common method of making showing appointments in my area, BY FAR. Its in the system as "Call First, Use Lockbox". If the house is occupied, probably 90% of the listings in this area instruct you to call the seller to let them know what time you would like to see it, or schedule a different time if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So, let's review.... as some point in the process she delegated showing appointments to her office or a showing service, which is how the majority of showing appointments are made.

A buyer's agent brought in the buyer, which is how most sales occur.

She communicated and negotiated your multiple offers via phone, which is how most offers are handled, unless agreed to otherwise.

She adhered to protocol and sent the personal property addendum to the buyer's agent and requested the buyer's agent to confirm it.

She will not be at the walk thru or the closing.....while this is not how I run my business, it is increasingly common, at least in my area.

Going back to the job description, she educated you, she created excitment within the marketplace, she negotiated multiple offers and worked with you to determined which offer you wanted to accept. She did her job.
This, exactly.

There are definitely some things that your agent is doing that are not how all agents operate, but nothing unethical, and it got the job done, obviously. This was less an issue of unethical or unprofessional behavior, and more an issue of personality conflict and unclearly stated expectations. Your agents operating procedures and your expectations were not a match. Her methods probably work great for some sellers, but not for you. That happens fairly often, and it why its so important to know the right questions to ask when listing the home. You'll know for next time. For example, you said the agent did talk to you on the phone about each offer. I think face to face is better, but phone is also acceptable, although she could have asked if it was a good time, rather than discussing it while you were shopping with the family. You know to ask next time whether the agent will present offers in person, or to let them know you expect it. I know agents who can't use a fax machine or email, they would be at the opposite end of the spectrum, because they do almost everything in person. That method would drive me crazy as a buyer or seller.

And, I have to ask: Your closing is actually taking place on the same date that it was originally scheduled for, 6 weeks ago??? That is very rare in my area. Its in our contract as an "on or before" date and only occasionally does the closing happen that exact date. It is very difficult to schedule around closings for that reason. It isn't at all unusual for the exact date to be unknown until the week of closing, or to change at least once.

Anyway, I would be polite and ask if she would please coordinate having someone present (and informed about your deal) at the walkthrough and your closing to represent your interests. If you approach it politely, she should be willing to do that.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM

I have a closing the Monday after Thanksgiving that was moved forward from Dec 7. I had already booked a family trip and cannot change the travel plans. I've prepared my buyer for what to expect and the I requested his loan officer to attend since most questions are about the loan.

I have missed maybe 3 - 4 out of hundreds of closings due to travel. This stuff happens and good agents can make arrangements.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 AM

165 posts, read 1,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
She did mention when she met us that she usually sells high-end homes, but they are not selling right now, so basically she was letting us know she was 'stepping down' a notch on the totem pole in helping us sell our middle class home in west Boynton.
Bleah, this has an obnoxious tone and would have caused me to look elsewhere. This is one of those lines that make me wonder how an agent can say them with a straight face, along with "these homes are going fast" and while showing me a 10 x 10 bedroom, "the bedrooms are very spacious."

Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
Bleah, this has an obnoxious tone and would have caused me to look elsewhere. This is one of those lines that make me wonder how an agent can say them with a straight face, along with "these homes are going fast" and while showing me a 10 x 10 bedroom, "the bedrooms are very spacious."
I also though that was a little much for the listing agent if true. But more importantly why would someone hire the agent who made such a statement.

If someone indicated to me they were above my home I would use the magic 4 letter word "Next". I would use another agent.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
I read the first few replies but not all of them so this may have been covered already.

While the agent may not have shown the home, been around, etc. It was under contract in 6 weeks in the South Florida market, one of the worst markets around.

She may not have given the best customer service but the bottom line is she got the home sold.

Anyone saying she does not deserve a commission without knowing what advertising or networking was done to get it sold in 6 weeks should really reserve judgment.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I am sorry. I feel this person did a poor job of managing your expectations.

As the buyers agent, I usually schedule and attend the final walk through, even if I have to go alone.

As a seller's agent, I have never attended the buyer's final walk through.

As a seller's agent I have emailed contracts, with "call to discuss" emails, it is not my job to figure out what you want help with, you are an adult. It's your job to say, " I am not comfortable with doing this over the phone. Can you stop by after 8 pm when I am home?"

She can't attend closing? Can you sign documents before class and pick up your documents and check later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate