Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,986 times

Advertisements

We had a showing Saturday. Turns out the folks looking are the buying agent and his family. ... and they are interested! They like the home and called our agent. The biggest issue right now is no one - neither agent - can seem to find good comps.

I think I mentioned that in another thread; it is really tough right now.

But there is hope already. If this family actually offers, then 3 looks in a week is great and the offer time is wicked fast (for you from Boston).

Pray for this sinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I'll keep my toes crossed for you...my fingers are busy working the mouse and keyboard

Old 11-23-2009, 05:52 PM

Question: if an agent is a buyer, does he still get the 3%? Can he legally represent himself?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 PM

17,410 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
Question: if an agent is a buyer, does he still get the 3%? Can he legally represent himself?
Yep.

He just has to disclose that he's the buyer.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Yep.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Yep.

As was said, must disclose. In AZ will generally include a statement in the additional terms & conditions section that seller understands buyer is a licensed agent.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Thanks.

The reason is that legally the commission money goes to the principal broker at the brokerage and not the agent. Then the agent gets their split from the brokerage. The brokerage can choose to waive receiving the commission and ask to alter the listing agreement with you and your agent.

I had that happen once. The brokerage represented employees for free and asked that we reduce the price of the house by the commission offering for the buyer, which we did. Brokerage takes nothing.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
The buyer's broker is entitled to the 3%. What happens after this is between the broker and the agent.

As Silverfall said, it's not uncommon for a buyer who is an agent to
"throw in" their broker's commission to make the transaction work....which is better than their split ( a percentage of the 3%) being taxable income.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
Yes as long as he discloses he's an agent.

Quote:

Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM

It is interesting; the potential buyer (agent) asked my agent for Comps because he couldn't find any. Now, granted, there are virtually no comps - maybe exactly none - for my house in this area in the past 6 months, but why would a buyer agent (even if he is the customer) as my agent for comps? My agent is going to find ones that favor me (great!) while he would look for ones to favor him, right?

Anyway, I'm waiting to see what they get for comps. I have searched and cannot find anything close at all to my house. Oh, some are the same SF, but not custom, not 50 yr roof, not 3 car garage, smaller lot, etc. They are priced a lot lower, but I will insist that comps take into consideration the 2x6 construction, R40 insulation throughout, dual pane windows throughout, and other things not in the "comps" from tract housing.

I'm not sure how that will fly, but comp means comparable and I assume that means comparable and not "generally similar."

Certainly whatever the comps result is will affect whether I even sell or not. My agent knows that if they come in too low, I'll pull the house off the market again and she won't want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate