Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 27,493 times

Advertisements

We sold our house and the contract on the house we were buying fell through. We'll be renting a house for the next few months, up to six months. Today I contacted our homeowners insurance company to cancel the old insurance and the rep. said I should convert it to renter's insurance, to avoid any lapse in coverage. I totally understand having renter's insurance would be good but wonder if it's necessary. If going without it for a few months would mean much higher premium for homeowner's insurance for our next house, I'd buy it now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM

196 posts, read 574,382 times
If I were you I would do it and the cost of renter's insurance will be a fraction of what you are used to paying anyhow.

We had a similar situation and ended up renting for a few months. We did convert to a renters policy. Then when we went to purchase, imagine our surprise that our company was no longer writing policies in that state. Because we had been long-term customers and didn't let the policy lapse, they wrote a homeowners policy for us. Yes, we could have found other insurance, but since we were very happy with our company, I am glad we didn't let our policy lapse.

Good luck house-hunting!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,474 times
Absolutely you need renters insurance! It is very inexpensive. Make sure you have replacement coverage for the contents of your dwelling. You may have to pay for a year up front but it will be refunded pro-rated when you cancel. You really can't afford not to have renters insurance.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:49 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
Think Katrina!
Yes, you need renter's insurance. It's cheap and you are crazy not to have it. In our area it will typcially cost $20 a month! Remember, it covers not only your personal property (clothes, furniture, etc.) it also covers your liability (you burn the house down, a visitor trips, falls, breaks his neck and he dies, your dog bites the mailman, etc) It will not impact the cost of insurance for the the new home you purchase.
Please, BUY IT TODAY!
Best wishes.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
I agree, you need renter's insurance! Don't risk going without it. For example, this rental house could have faulty wiring and catch fire, you would lose everything, and you would have no recourse. The landlord is not responsible for your personal losses.

I had a friend who lived in a high rise apartment complex...the person over him left the bathtub running and it flooded my friends apartment. Ruined his TV, computers, other electronics. No renter's insurance, no money.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
depends on what you have that is of value. I first got renters insurance when I got married and suddenly we had 2 computers, 2 TV's, 2 wedding rings, all the wedding gifts, etc.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
YES! My wife has a co-worker who was in between homes...guess what happened? A fire destroyed everything they had in their rental. they did not have renters insurance! Took them almost a year to get back on their feet. Even if you don't have anything of real value you would be surprised how quickly the costs add up when you realize you have nothing left but the cloths that were on your back.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times
well I think it depends--we have decided to go without as we have 80% of our previous homes contents in storage (all of the most valuable stuff besides the computer and a television)--also we are only going to be there for 2 months.....

Old 11-30-2009, 01:38 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I would still do it. It's SO CHEAP -- seriously!
and fires aren't the only thing to worry about. renter's insurance should cover something like water leaking down from another unit, or damage done to your personal property by a pipe that has burst, etc. It's better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.

I think my renter's insurance policy is something like $100/year.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
If your storage unit is broken into and everything you own is stolen, it's your responsibility, not that of the storage place. Read your contract. If someone visits your rental home and slips and falls, you'll be sued--do you want to take the chance that you'll lose everything because you were too cheap to spend $100 on insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate