Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
If someone has made an offer and we want to meet with them to discuss it, we will bring up intangibles that NO AGENT can fairly represent but which may be of VERY great importance to the prospective buyer and which might "seal the deal."
Or break the deal.
Quote:
We can name neighbors, what they do, how many kids they have, who has a pool and invites people over, who the original people in the neighborhood were, the history of the schools and the area, etc.
Case in point. If your next door neighbor has pool parties every weekend until all hours, or puts up a portable basketball hoop in the evenings, it would be a dealbreaker for me. One person's intangibles may be another's irritation.

Quote:
You agents are very good at what you do. Don't get me wrong. But you are, indeed, the "car salesmen" in that you deal with numbers and facts. We are the people who understand people and emotions and needs and wants that go beyond the numbers. My wife (Master of Counseling) and I (Master of Divinity) have spent our whole lives dealing with people as people - not objects.
Sounds a little patronizing but each person has their own view. I will say that as a potential buyer, I have zero interest in meeting the seller, hearing them glorify everything about the house and neighborhood. Once I see the home, do my own due diligence, like it, and consider putting in an offer, the emotional factor is sealed off and it becomes strictly a business transaction.

You have a lovely home, GuyFriendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You have a lovely home, GuyFriendly.
Wanna buy it? Promise I won't introduce you to the neighbors or even ask to sit down with you.

Thanks for the good feedback. I learn from everything posted here and I do change my mind when shown I am wrong or could do better.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:34 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Or break the deal.

Sounds a little patronizing but each person has their own view. I will say that as a potential buyer, I have zero interest in meeting the seller, hearing them glorify everything about the house and neighborhood.
And this is just one of many reasons buyer and sellers hire agents. We deal with all kinds of unusual characters who have good intentions but the seller or buyer does not want to deal with them on a personal level.

Also, when 2 parties are together things can be said that the other party interprets in a wrong manner. It helps prevent misunderstandings and lawsuits.

One of the reasons I do so much more in email nowadays is you have conversations in writing and answers that can be forwarded when appropriate to agents and all parties.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
An option to consider is that the buyer's agent has the right to request a meeting with the sellers to personally present the buyer's offer, with the listing agent present of course. You might try requesting this of the buyer agents that want to submit offers. Most around here email or fax the offers. I know one listing agent that insists buyer agents present offers and sets up the meeting to his advantage - works particularly well with agents not experienced with this situation.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
An option to consider is that the buyer's agent has the right to request a meeting with the sellers to personally present the buyer's offer, with the listing agent present of course. You might try requesting this of the buyer agents that want to submit offers. Most around here email or fax the offers. I know one listing agent that insists buyer agents present offers and sets up the meeting to his advantage - works particularly well with agents not experienced with this situation.
Great idea. Certainly this way the control remains with the agents, but any questions from buyer or seller can be discussed then and there instead of back and forth via fax or email.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Quote:
Great idea. Certainly this way the control remains with the agents, but any questions from buyer or seller can be discussed then and there instead of back and forth via fax or email.

Thanks!
I should clarify that the buyers are not present, only their agent, and the listing agent controls the meeting (or should). The buyer agent is allowed to present the offer, then the sellers and their agent confer without the buyer agent in the room to discuss it and any counter options if needed. This allows the buyer agent to present any background info about the buyers that may help their case.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
I should clarify that the buyers are not present, only their agent, and the listing agent controls the meeting (or should). The buyer agent is allowed to present the offer, then the sellers and their agent confer without the buyer agent in the room to discuss it and any counter options if needed. This allows the buyer agent to present any background info about the buyers that may help their case.
Oh, well not cool then. Bring in the buyers. They can stay silent if they want, but all parties need to be there. It strikes me as just bizarre to have such an important transaction take place without all parties present.

When I suggest it to my agent, it will be for everyone to be there. She can call the gathering, but no one is to be left out unless they choose to not attend.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Oh, well not cool then. Bring in the buyers. They can stay silent if they want, but all parties need to be there. It strikes me as just bizarre to have such an important transaction take place without all parties present.

When I suggest it to my agent, it will be for everyone to be there. She can call the gathering, but no one is to be left out unless they choose to not attend.

Be prepared for the buyers to not want to be there. I wouldn't.

We just purchased a home in another state that I'm not licensed in - and there is no way I would've wanted to sit in the same room with the sellers as negotiations were under way. No thanks.

All the warm fuzzy, kumbaya stuff that you want can take place after the nuts & bolts of a deal is hammered out.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Be prepared for the buyers to not want to be there. I wouldn't.

We just purchased a home in another state that I'm not licensed in - and there is no way I would've wanted to sit in the same room with the sellers as negotiations were under way. No thanks.

All the warm fuzzy, kumbaya stuff that you want can take place after the nuts & bolts of a deal is hammered out.
*shrug* OK. I'll accept whatever it is.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times
GF, you "read" like someone who is a straight shooter, good for you. But listen to what the realtors are saying in this specific case in terms of compromising your position. Trust me as a recent buyer I can assure you that once you know the other side you COULD compromise.

Also, in terms of bidding themselves out, be careful becauase there are buyers like myself who are skeptical that there is even another offer even though my post research showed in 80% of the time what the sellers agent said was correct as to the amount and the existence of another offer.

I am happy for you and

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate