Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does replacing the tub with a shower in a bathroom effect the value of a home?
Lowers the value of the home 17 53.13%
Does not change the value of the home 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsson View Post
Hi, we are thinking of renovating the second bathroom in 3bed/2bath single family house in NYC. The bathroom currently have a tub but we all prefer to shower so we are thinking of replacing it with a shower and a linen closet. It will not fit both a shower and a bathtub. The other bathroom have a shower and bathtub.

Will this change affect the value of the house? Is a shower only bathroom worth less than a tub only bath room?

I read this post which discussed if a bathroom with a shower counts as full bath or 3/4 bath but it never discussed the effect of the home's value.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-question.html
I think as the population ages, Universal Design will become more important.

I echo what the other posters said. Keep a bathtub in one of your bathrooms. Make the shower wheelchair/limited-mobility friendly with a spa-like feel and I think you'll be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Is a tub shower an option? Not a separate shower but a tub shower combo.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:07 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
In my area there is usually a tub with a shower in the hall bath and a walk in shower in the master bath. Newer homes often have a shower and a whirlpool tub in the master bath but few people I know use them. As long as there is one tub in the house you should be fine but to be honest nobody in my family every liked showering in the tub and my kids grew up taking all their showers in my bathroom. The tub/shower never got any use and once when we had company they tried to use it and the shower handle came off in their hand because it hadn't been turned on in a couple of years!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:18 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
In my area there is usually a tub with a shower in the hall bath and a walk in shower in the master bath.
Thats what we have. Three bathrooms, all have sink, shower, and toilet, but only one has a tub. Its in the hallway, across from the smaller bedrooms. The master bath has a large walk-in shower (about the same footprint as a tub: 60"x36"), but we chose to go shower only instead of tub/shower. LOVE it! We put in a shower seat which I love

But, especially with appraisals lately, I do wonder how our bathrooms will play out. The downstairs bath is one of those terrible 36x36" things, but hey - its a 3rd bathroom And we did use it when we were remodeling the two upstairs bathrooms. And, considering we bought the house as a 2 bath, we have one more bath than when we bought (the one bathroom upstairs was 5 feet wide and 22 feet long, abutting the master bedroom. So we punched a hole and reconfigured to make a master bath)

Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
You left out the most relevant option in your poll: Sometimes. In some markets, appraisers and realtors treat a shower as a 3/4 bath. And sometimes, in some markets, people will pay less for a shower vs. a full bath with a shower/tub combo. It's all in what your local market tells you, NOT what anyone here says.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM

286 posts, read 1,366,615 times
I think it's also important to note that the OP is in NYC, so space is a huge priority and very valuable. If they are adding a linen closet, this extra storage space will trump any kind of shower / shower-tub / tub combo on the market.

Just my 2c.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
well, I don't know about actually lowering the value, but a family with small kids probably wouldn't want a house w/o a tub in the 2nd bath. that makes your pool of buyers smaller.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
IMHO as long as you have at least one bath with a tub, I wouldn't be too worried. BUt then it may depend on your neighborhood and what is the 'norm' for the majority of the homes.

hey, I am just glad for indoor plumbing !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate