Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,159 posts, read 76,731,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I did just what you are doing - only we didn't see the house until after we'd purchased it. You are looking in an area that is way more remote than where we bought but I see lots of similarities.

For starters, get yourself a pre-qual from a lender. Find out if the lender has any exclusions: in our area it was mobile homes. Not only could the mobile not be the main house, if one was on the land, it had to be removed. We had found one property with a main house and an old mobile used as storage. It had to be removed per lender.

Then, now that you know how much you qualify for, decide how much you are truly willing to finance. Do NOT leave yourself house poor or you will regret it.

And finally, Buyer's agent. There are good ones out there. Find one who is willing and has experience to work with an out-of-state buyer where all documentation will be done via fax/mail. In TN, there is a law that a faxed document signature counts as an original signature. That was a big plus for us.

Get pictures of the properties you are interested in - inside, outside, upside down. Pictures tell a story.
Good advice.

I would only say there is little reason to ever use a fax, with easy-peasy electronic signatures providing quick solutions and no loss of quality due to repetitive faxing/scanning.
Going interstate, with forms variations means that it is more important than ever to be able to clearly read what you are agreeing to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,726,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wow that is very remote -- I suspect lenders will need to specialize in that sort of think, and the low cost MIGHT make it very hard to borrow at all -- most lenders have a floor below which they simply will not lend as the profit is just not there.
I agree you might very have to look for a specialized lender for that kind of home. When you're talking seriously off the utilities grid and also probably not covered by fire protection service, it'll make a lot of lenders run and hide.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 AM

106,090 posts, read 108,054,666 times
one more thing keep in mind.. when you finally make that 2nd home your primary the tax laws changed last year and now your capital gains excusion is pro-rated and reduced by every year you own the 2nd home prior to making it a primary.

long term it may not matter but just something to be aware of. im not an accountant so double check me but i believe as an example you own the home 10 years but it wasnt a primary for 5 of those years so you would get 1/2 the capital gains exclusion which would be 125,000 out of the 250,000 if your single.

the more in advance you buy this 2nd home the more you end up being penalized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate